ANOTHER SHOCK QUESTION ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1985 DRW 1-ton chassis-cab F-350 2WD.

I can find all the major brands of shocks listed for the rear of F-350 trucks of my vintage; BUT, every last single listing has a note = (exc. DRW).

What is so different about the SRW rear shock as opposed to the DRW rear shock ??

I could remove one of my shocks, measure collapsed and extended lengths, bolt-sizes, etc. and maybe match up a pair that I could make work; BUT, all the shock sites I come up with have no measurement information tables, only "user friendly" generic this shock fits this truck with no details whatsoever.

I can even relocate/rebuild mounts such that I can utilize a more easily available shock; BUT, in order to do this, I need access to the details.

Thanks.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I have an 87 srw crew cab and would be mort than happy to take some measurements or get some numbers for you to cross reference. I can ask the the parts guy at work what the difference is but I will likely get a smart as* reply from him about getting a newer truck and no real info ( he hates our vintage and sees no point in keeping them around (read he is dumb))

let me know what you need
punk

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A LITTLE MORE INFORMATION

To better clarify things, my truck is a DRW-CHASSIS-CAB = not a "dually", but a genuine one-ton chassis-cab with DUAL REAR WHEELS.

My rear shocks are mounted INSIDE the frame.

Where are the rear shocks mounted on a 1980-86 "dually", inside or outside ??

Where are the shocks mounted on a 1980-86 SRW F-350 ??

a 1980-86 SRW F-250 ??

Thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, how about this one? Click on the Mounting and Length Sheets.

http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup/ocl_miscappinfo.asp

THAT is what I was looking for !!!:thumbsup:

I found this at Advance site :

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=MON&MfrPartNumber=34731

I took that number 34971, which is specifically for my application, over to the Monroe site and found the specifics.

I then scanned the list for all shocks that were same ends and very close in length; I found six possibles other than the 34731 that it actually calls for.

I then took those numbers back to the Advance site and found each one, then clicked on "see all vehicles this fits" and recorded that information.

Now, should I wish to use a brand of shock other than Monroe, I can get the ones for one of those applications and the fit be close enough to work.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online