Another flex plate question

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys in getting ready to finish up my rebuild/reseal of my 6.9IDI(I will post pics/thread when complete) I was planning on swapping in a ZF5 but time and money will not allow that right know so im going to reinstall my C6. Long story short the flex plate got damaged in the romoval of flywheel:idiot:(again long story) At the time it was no big deal since the ZF5 was going to go in. Know I need a flex plate :frustrate:frustrate The flex plate/fly wheel from my 6.9 was a 2 peace(flywheel with stamped steel plate) and the 7.3 flywheel seems to be a single peace reminding me of the one my old Bronco had attached to the 351 with e4od. Is the 7.3 just a single peace(torque convert basically bolts to flywheel) Has anyone put the 7.3 flywheel on the 6.9?

I also now I need a crank spacer, does anyone now the thickness of the spacer because I think I have one lol hahah. Not sure were I got it but it has the same hole as the crank and the flywheel and its about 1/8" thick. I just looking for a definitive answer, any help greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The short answer is both flexplates you refer to here will work but.. One works one way and the other works the other way with a spacer. So lets look at the heavy cast iron wheel and the thin stamped plate.. Thats wjat I think you had and it got hurt. That one does not require the spacer which btw is about 1 1/4 inches thick. I have severl of those. Now the thin stamped flexplate with the gear welded to it needs the 1 1/4 inch thick spacer between it and the crank. They al need a thin 4 inch large washer on the plte to bolt side... Do not place this washer between the crank and spacer. Its design is to spread out the torque force applied by the bolts holding it to the crank. These spacers can be bought at BTS in Arkansas too. Brin has them made specially for him. They are no longer supplied by anyone else but wrecking yards should be full of them... Although I have never found any. I also have the heavy cast iron flexplate and the thin stamped plate too...

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks!!! that clears up a TON of stuff I have read online. I guess the question know is, what is the best best way to go? I heard the old 2 peace will put more torque to the ground do to more weight but I guess price and availability will prob win in the end.