Another E4OD Help Issue

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 92 F350 from Iowa and driving home to Penna. the trans took a ****. First off the truck had been sitting for awhile with 125K on the clock. I ran it before starting back and everything was fine, started back and in ohio it dumped trans fluid at the fuel island. I checked underneath and it looks like its comming from the lower cover/bellhousing. Why would this happen all of a sudden? Could a seal let go from lack of use? Anyway I guess I am screwed and should just park it and get it towed home?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She got hot and front seal started leaking, not unusual. When she cools down she should be OK after topping off fluid. I'd think you can nurse her back home by driving easy and taking lots of breaks, it's a pain but it sure beats the tow bill! Once at home base plan on pulling trans and changing the front seal, assuming you don't find a horrible mess in the trans oil pan. Any guess how much fluid she lost? Did you happen to be stuck in traffic or something? Or did you leave her idling overnight? Ohio is a looong way from Iowa, wonder what happened in Ohio to get her hot that didn't happen, say, in Indiana? Is the OD light on the shifter flashing?

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ran fine no lights of issues lost about 1 quart at the fuel island. Looked underneath expecting to see fluid slong all over and not much of a mess. seems to have just started then.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was truck idling when she dumped fluid, or was it shut off? There is the off chance that the fluid pressure from behind the seal is keeping it sealed while running, but when you shut engine off and pump stops pressure goes away and you end up with a leak. That's about the only scenario I can come up with that explains why she didn't dump fluid while you're driving... Btw to cool a transmission down don't shut engine down, instead let it idle in park - little heat gets radiated thru the trans pan and housing, heat exchange thru the coolers at low engine speed works much better.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Once you pull the tranny you will see the fluid spray. The factory gray seal does not like heat. Once the seal gets hot it will balloon causing a leak. They normally shrink back when cool.

Get yourself the new Viton seal from any good parts store. Precision #16601EV will fix it. :D