Another 3G swap done today

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Today I removed the factory 1G alternator from my 84. Installed a new 3G that I bought from DB Electric, for about $90 I think. Ran the yellow wire from the 3G harness to the battery post, green wire to the green external regulator wire (F terminal on the regulator), and the white wire to the adjacent plug, 4 gauge wire to a 175 mega fuse and then to the battery (which is a group 31). Fired it up with 14.4 volts at idle right away and down to 13.5 under full load of, aux. high beams, fan on HI, aux. back up lights on, stereo on and wipers full blast. Im happy with that. Put a V-belt pulley on it without having to shave any material off of the alternator casing. Put regular strength Locktite on the treads and used the lock washer that came with it. Hopefully it stays on. Have many of you had them back off and pulley fall off?

You must be registered for see images attach

So now I will add that to the list of significant and practical mods done to this lucky old truck

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fired it up with 14.4 volts at idle right away and down to 13.5 under full load of, aux. high beams, fan on HI, aux. back up lights on, stereo on and wipers full blast. Im happy with that.

you can do all that,and then some, while giving someone a boost now.great upgrade.;Sweet

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
So I pulled into the driveway today after work and when the engine was idling, the lights (interior an exterior) were pulsating like a voltage regulator was acting up. Belt is tight, all connections tight. It goes away with rpm but not until it hits about 1000 revs or higher. The 3G swap was done with this new DB electric alternator a couple months ago. Do you think the internal V/R packed it in? It was pouring rain and have yet to measure the actual voltage fluctuations so I don't have those numbers yet.