and you thought our fan clutches were pricey

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was playing with a salvage 6.0no this weekend. check out the fan clutch on this bad boy. neat idea for electrical controlled on and off but this setup must really hurt the wallet.:eek:

Attachments

• 14-07-06_1724.jpg
    14-07-06_1724.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 14-07-06_1725.jpg
    14-07-06_1725.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 25

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Interesting :Sly and being in a sickx-O I'm sure the wallet pucker factor is high :eek:

Cal, I'm working on my elec fan set up and am interested in where they mount
the temp sensor and is it a thymister type or capillary type?
Any clue as to what temp they come on at?

Any chance ya could peek :D

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
everybody talks about electric fans.

why not find an old hydraulic powered fan like on a skidsteer? (at least for those of us with hydraulic pumps)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hydraulics sure generate a lot of heat to operate.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Hydraulics sure generate a lot of heat to operate.
mel-
i've actually thought about it quite a bit ever since I've seen a hyd setup on a late 90's camry. plumbed off the power steering pump. I'm not sure if the parasitic losses would be larger than getting a alternator working OT supporting electric fans.

geo-
i'll take a look later on today. I didn't see anything special coming off what's left of the radiator yesterday, I'd suspect its off the block though.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
geo-
i'll take a look later on today. I didn't see anything special coming off what's left of the radiator yesterday, I'd suspect its off the block though.

Fan on/off controls are usually in the lower radiator no?

Towboss

Fomerly Powerboatr
Reaction score
towcat said:
was playing with a salvage 6.0no this weekend. check out the fan clutch on this bad boy. neat idea for electrical controlled on and off but this setup must really hurt the wallet.:eek:

welll
when my 6.0 fan kicks on it sucks up small rodents and small birds, its very efficient

i can only imagine it on 7.3 idid, my 92 fan would flat killl the motor on take off rom the amount of drag it created, we went to two 10" electrics that ran only when the a/c was on. or speeds below 35 mph
worked very well and stock fan later found itself in a box

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Fan on/off controls are usually in the lower radiator no?
choker-
i'm not saying that it wasn't there. the front end was hurt bad enough that a sawzall was used to remove much of it. its amazing just how much force a "glancing" blow from a red light runner is needed to twist a front over about a foot and a half.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
choker-
i'm not saying that it wasn't there. the front end was hurt bad enough that a sawzall was used to remove much of it. its amazing just how much force a "glancing" blow from a red light runner is needed to twist a front over about a foot and a half.
Undestood.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towboss said:
welll
when my 6.0 fan kicks on it sucks up small rodents and small birds, its very efficient

i can only imagine it on 7.3 idid, my 92 fan would flat killl the motor on take off rom the amount of drag it created, we went to two 10" electrics that ran only when the a/c was on. or speeds below 35 mph
worked very well and stock fan later found itself in a box

So your claiming complete sucess running electric fans? This is a topic that has been approached many times with no definite proof of concept. Only recently have we seen advertisements of fans in the $500 to $600 range that claim to replace the factory fan with no loss of cooling capacity. I'm particularly interested in this at this time, because I have pending plans for the Moose Truck that will require me to move the radiator back towards the motor, and I see electric fans as a way to achieve that. Please elaborate and post some pics if you can.

Max Power

Reaction score
That is an electric clutch fan so it's still engine driven. There is no way an electric motor fan can move as much air as an engine driven fan. It would be ok for no or light towing but those who tow heavy will need an engine driven fan in my opinion.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. That's the conventional wisdom, so that's why I'm interested in his claim.

Max Power

Reaction score
Well I think an electric fan will be better with the AC on around town. It's the 100 degree day towing 15,000lbs that an electric fan won't cut it. As far as I can see he is claiming it works good around town etc.