and you thought our fan clutches were pricey

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I'm particularly interested in this at this time, because I have pending plans for the Moose Truck that will require me to move the radiator back towards the motor,

Mel, I don't think you'll need to move the radiator when you do your complete body air ride system. We did decide that your doing that, didn't we?

Joe Mc

Reaction score
Towcat,

Could this be easily installed on a 6.9, I would love to have control over the fan clutch.

And I just have to ask, have you ever posted the full size version of your avatar anywhere on this site?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
this setup must really hurt the wallet.:eek:

try priceing a fan clutch for a 1998 GMC 7500 with a 3116 cat motor.its almost identical to the idi fan clutch except that the threads for the hub are bigger but the 3116 fan bolts onto the IDI fan clutch but wont screw onto the 3116s fan pully

BTW the 3116 fan clutch is $500.00 :eek:

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running down the road @ 40 to ??? mph there is enought air moving thru the raditor that the fan has little effect. If (2) electric fans were used and cover the entire raditor the should cool as good as an engine fan.

Jim

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Just a thought.I remeber many times running down I70,which is moatly flat.Many times I would hear the roar of my fan as it came on.My point is that even at highy speeds pulling my trailer I needed the fan to assisty the air being pushed through by the wind.
Mr Bill

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
oldmisterbill said:
Just a thought.I remeber many times running down I70,which is moatly flat.Many times I would hear the roar of my fan as it came on.My point is that even at highy speeds pulling my trailer I needed the fan to assisty the air being pushed through by the wind. Mr Bill

I have seen both sides of this argu...er discussion on several boards....I just haven't opend my mouth till now and I'm still :confused: as ever.

My old '90 and '93 would do the same loaded or unloaded and that is what has many people buzzled regarding elec fans.

Just how can a 20 odd inch dia fan move more air at 50+ mph than will move thru the radiator by foreward motion at those speeds cookoo

With that said and this is just my theroy :eek: LOL ...two electric fans should be able to move close to the cfm of a eng driven fan at those speeds...just fer giggles, I sat on a skate board and connected both elec fans to a battery--only one 600amp mind you--and those fans actually moved me LOL

So once again it's just my convoluted theroy :D

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I bought a LT9000 Ford tandem dump truck that had the 3208 Cat motor N/A, the PO had put a electric fan on it as the bolt holes that held the engine fan had striped out so he put the elect. fan on. If I had not known the truck and knew it had worked every day I would have walked away. I worked the truck every day even in outside temps in the high 90's and the engine never over heated with 14 tons of gravel, dirt or blacktop. When the engine temps started to rise I would turn on the fan and the temps would drop to 180* even on long pulls. Now this fan only covered about 3/4 of the radiator.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sat on a skate board and connected both elec fans to a battery--only one 600amp mind you--and those fans actually moved me LOL

Darn! Where was the Moose TV camera man for that one! :rotflmao

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Darn! Where was the Moose TV camera man for that one! :rotflmao

:eek: :rotflmao

Would have made for interesting viewing LOL
Me ,a battery and holding the fans over my head sitting----er---trying to balance on a skateboard:idiot: :rotflmao

sassyrel

Reaction score
george--think about this--60 mph--air hits grill--slows down some--then part of air hits trans cooler--slows down a small portion--then hits the air cond condensor--slows down more--then hits the rad--going even slower--i have rad repair shop--and this was explained to us in rad repair school--thats why the fan still kicks on--and--if there are any bugs--debris--or dirt in any of the above--guess whats happening to the airflow-------now if you drive 100--with no load-------------------- :rotflmao :rotflmao

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're on the topic, I allways noticed the fan "roar" at highway speeds in my dads old 89 F250. My 94 dont. Is there a difference in the clutch, or is my fanclutch not workin?
Is there anyway to test it???

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well,,,if it ain't roaring---it ain't working..... :D

Open the hood while eng cold and give the fan a spin....should be minor resistance....yours just might be totally freewheeling....something hard to see even on a hot eng , the fan will appear to be turning---and thru rtational friction it is----just not locking in to actually cool.