Am I timed correctly

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I lined up the Y on the Injector pump gear to the Y on the camshaft, so I should be in proper timing right? I just want to make sure before I go farther.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maybe is the short answer... What are you doing??? You have not given much information. Why is the injection pump gear cover off the motor.... Is the front of the motor removed... If so why....:dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
take some pics, show which marks align with the other, that will help us know for sure;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the gear timing correct but you should read Ziggster 40's article about gear timing, should be able to still look him up even though he's disappeared from here. You could also get a pic of what you have and show us, I personally haven't but many of these guys including Icanfixall really know their stuff and have built IDIs.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Man im really mad right now, All along I thought I had it right and was gone today and my uncles who were helping me got it all back together for me. Now your telling me I need to take the front cover back off to check out where the other marks are besides the two y marks. I do know the y on the ip and the y on the cam are lined up together, so your saying the other marks on things need to also line up in certain places? Im kinda mad at myself for getting into it so far before making sure. Do I have to worry about the other dots or jsut the Y marks?

Whats an easy way to take the front cover off? Do I have to take the oil pan back off?

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old school way is to just line up the marks on the timing gear and cam. you see the marks by taking the cover off the gear for the injection pump. It is wear you pour your oil, or you can take the whole thing off. only four bolt, but dont start it or dropp anything in there. if you get the marks lined up you are good. some guys loosen their injection pump and spinit a little to either retard or increase your timing aka add more fuel. this way is a cheap way to lengthen the time your injection pump has to fuel the cyclinders by making it starting fueling earlier. i did this on many trucks, but connot remeber which way to turn.

I think that there is a better way.

if you get your marks on the money, and without adjusting or spining your injection pump and getting lined up with its mark on the timing gear cover. you can get this special timming tool from snapon that times the injection pump itself. after you can increase the fuel output of the pump by turning a screw inside the pump under the cover on the passager side. 1/2 turn is safe and barely any smoke, but i think i have mine turned up about a full or close to it.

with the tool you get it on the pump and actualy spin the crank and everthing with the starter so that the pupmp is getting the max amount of fuel at exactly the right positon of the piston inside. it is really tricky but this tool makes it work great. i regret to say that i do not have my tool with me.

best of luck, and remeber to mark everything before you start moving it incase you want to change it back.

Last edited:

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
The motor has been turned over without the ip being on, I am jsut going to take the cover off and make sure the dots on the cam gear, oil gear, and crank gear all line up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Removing the front cover will tell you exactly whats lined up but not necessary. If the dampner is at top dead center of number one cylinder. Then the injection pump and cam gear will have the "Y" marks in the correct position. The other cam marks are not another "Y" any place else. I'm guessing you are looking down bewteen the waterpump-timing gear cover plate... Its a tuff place to be looking into

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall he had the ip gear off and the front cover off and turned the motor over is the way I understand it, he should still be able to get it to tdc and line up the Ip gear and be good to go shouldn't he.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Yes starmilt is right. I do have the Y on the camgear lined up with the Y on the ip gear, but isnt there DOTS on the opposite end of the gear that need to line up with other DOTS on the oil gear and crank? I never put it at TDC when I installed the IP just turned the motor over so that the cam gear Y is right at top and lined it with the Y on the IP gear.

I am looking at Ziggs timing picture in his article and it shows the two Y's together, then there are DOTS down below all that, I wasnt aware of this until I had it together.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have anything else apart besides the IP? If you didn't have the cam or any of the gears out/off, there would be no reason to think that everything isn't where it should be.
Travis..

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Alright I made my self feel better, only took 30 minutes of my time to get the front timing cover off. I couldnt get it to turn where the Y on the cam gear lines up with the Y on the IP gear. I know for a fact when I put it together the two lined up.

This is the Crank dot with the camgear
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the IP gear and the Dot on the Cam gear
You must be registered for see images attach

From what I am thinking timing is correct because 180 degrees from the Dot on the camgear is the Y so it looks like everything is lining up correctly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The pictures you posted are wrong... Line up the Y on the injection pump gear with the Y on the cam gear. Then look at the crank gear and cam gear at the bottom of the cam gear. Those dots will be lined up. The crank gear has only one dot on ot. It wont have two dots like the pictures someone posted on here years ago. Think about this for a minute.... If the crank gear had two dots on it 180 degrees out.... Which one is correct???:dunno So there is one dot on the crank gear. The cam gear has two marks... A dot and a Y... The injection pump has only one Y on it... The oil pump gear has nothing on it.. That gear has nothing to do with anything thats timed. Please ask questions if this isn't clear. Nobody wants you doing this job more than once.... everybody is here offering help whenever you need it..;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel I need to add something else... When all the marks are in correct alignment the Y on the injection pump gear will be positioned at the bottom of the gear... The Y on the cam gear will be at the top of that gear... Then the bottom of the cam gear will have the dot at the bottom... then the crank gear will have the dot located at the top.... If you didn't remove the crank or cam those timing marks wont have moved. So start with those being aligned first. The injection pump gear will just drop inplace with theY marks easily with the front cover off. Now install the injection pump gear cover and then the front engine plate over all the gears. Clean off the oil pan gasket surface with brake cleaner and use rtv for the gasket. Thats all the factory used and everyone here uses their favorite type of rtv. It wont leak thats a promise...