Alternator question

sassyrel

Reaction score
Typ4

Bought one today. Old one tested bad. 12 amps and 8 volts

Still has a draw through the field wire.

At least it's charging right now.

Challenges are what makes life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

believe it or not,,you can have both a new,,and a rebuilt,,alt that are defective.. did they test the new one where you bought it from????

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
No they didn't test it. I can say that is charges more than my old one based on the voltage and amp readings. This one moves the needle at idle. My old one never did.

Challenges are what makes life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
The alternator is being full fielded 100% of the time. Three minutes of running and the alternator is too hot to touch. Going to make sure the field wire isn't shorted to ground if not. I have to have another failed regulator.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That blown diode may have nuked the regulator.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Does anyone have a regulator like this on hand that can give me a ohm reading on these two terminals? The one on the far right is field. The other is batt positive - not key power - batt power. What's the resistance reading here ?
You must be registered for see images

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
That blown diode may have nuked the regulator.

That's what I'm thinking

But it still charges.? The regulator is supplying positive power to the field wire at all times it's connected. Key on or key off. Doesn't matter

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any wire including the regulator case to field should be high ohms, something over 1k minimum, I don't have one in front of me but I know there is a transistor that gets power from bat and controls field also has a diode across it, anyways it should be high ohms, if it's low low like a few ohms the regulator is toast. Also did the regulator have a good ground? Bad ground cooks them.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Any wire including the regulator case to field should be high ohms, something over 1k minimum, I don't have one in front of me but I know there is a transistor that gets power from bat and controls field also has a diode across it, anyways it should be high ohms, if it's low low like a few ohms the regulator is toast. Also did the regulator have a good ground? Bad ground cooks them.

Well. In my pic above the two terminals I have leads on have almost zero ohms of resistance

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Got it fixed. Regulator was bad. Found that the ground to the regulator was lost. Ran a separate wire - charging good. No draw right now. But I've lost a battery. It's like paste inside. Back on the road though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online