alternator or regulator

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
at idle: 12 volts
above idle: 12.5 volts
at idle with lights on: 11 volts
above idle with lights on: 11.5 volts.

Any electrical use (blower motor, dome lights, etc. . .) cause a drop in voltage--not much but noticeable on the gauge.

Riley

Reaction score
I would change the regulator, it is cheap, I just put on one for 23.00 from Oreillys, and its quick and simple to change. If that doesn't do it, take the alternator off and have it tested. Most of the auto parts stores do this for no charge.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also un-plug the regulator, jump a KEY-ON wire to the "ign" terminal, fire it up and the un-regulated alternator should show 16-Volts or better.

Don't run it more than a few seconds and don't have any sensitive stuff turned on or it will fry.

Don't hold me responsible for anything I might type.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
it was the regulator.

An interesting note. While I was putting the regulator back in to bolt it down, I pulled a wire out of a connector. it was the wire that has a ring terminal and lands under the back mounting bolt of the voltage regulator. 'when I started it up and gave it a little pedal, the gauge read 16 volts. Once I put the wire back into the connector it reads 13 at idle and nearly 14 at speed.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was the regulator.

An interesting note. While I was putting the regulator back in to bolt it down, I pulled a wire out of a connector. it was the wire that has a ring terminal and lands under the back mounting bolt of the voltage regulator. 'when I started it up and gave it a little pedal, the gauge read 16 volts. Once I put the wire back into the connector it reads 13 at idle and nearly 14 at speed.

That was the regulator ground and, without it, your alternator was un-regulated, putting out it's full voltage.