Almost A Diesel

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this isnt IDI related but we all know this is the most active forum on the boards and I know we have at least one animal lover in here, so, got a new puppy yesterday. Reason for the title was because when we first looked at her we thought she was a male and I thought the color had DIESEL written all over over it. Anywho, this is Roxy, an 8wk old female Pitbull.

Oh and any tips from those who've raised this breed are welcomed.

You must be registered for see images attach

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pit/lab cross and he is an awesome dog. Pits are some of the sweetest dogs you will ever see but you just have to make sure to get them used to people and other dogs. So whenever you can take the puppy out and socialize it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
They are VERY protective of you and your family. Have no fear if someone breaks into your house, the dog will take care of them. but on the down side, you have to introduce them to EVERYONE that you bring into your house

wmoguy

Reaction score
That's right...it's not the breed, it's the way they're raised.

yep, my sis has one and its the biggest pansy you'd have ever seen. I"m pretty sure no one would want to attempt to hurt her family or the dog might flip a 180 attitude wise. Now her Lab, thats the mean dog. Go figure.

Cool pup! I don't envy you and your soon to be soiled carpets, but cute pup anyway! lol

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I'm glad a lot of people have good luck with pits, but I personally would never have one around my 4 year old. That and a few other breeds. She is one sweet little puppy, I'll tell you that.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
You always gotta let the dog know who the Alpha is. I don't tolerate aggressive (or stupid) dogs. Most of the time both can be helped.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were called Nanny dogs for a reason. As long as you keep them in check you'll be just fine. Uncle has a few.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pit are big sweethearts when raised right. I would turn my back on a Rottie or a German Shepard ever. As stated above make sure you socialize it with people and other dogs early on so it doesn't get aggressive. Neighbors used to have a pit that was the nicest dog in the worls as long as it knew you. If it didn't know you don't show up at night. I was the only person who could walk into that yard at night that wasn't growled at. As to the children part its a 50/50 street. The dogs have to be trained to be around children and the children need to be trained to be around animals. I see way too many people who let their children run wild and they are usually the ones that the dogs will bite because they pushed the line too far.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a "red" doberman as my last dog. very docile with the cats(they all slept together) and good with humans. Wouldn't hurt anyone while I am at the shop. I didn't do the ear and tail cropping unlike other dobies. Moment she was left alone, attitude towards unknown humans did an immediate 180.
I had a guy break in on a Friday evening, what he reported on monday afternoon when I got back, was the dog was not aggressive at all until she was between him and his route of escape. At that point the dog was a characteristic doberman;Sweet she kept him there all weekend.:eek: :D:D:D
He tried to get me for unlawful detainer....it didn't stick.:D he was dumb enough to "assume" a doberman surrounded by cats was going to be non-aggressive.:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've had Rott's, Doberman's and the like and now have a yellow lab (male). I would venture to say out of all of them the Lab IS the most protective. Same situation though, if someone is welcomed, they were loved by all my dogs, someone comes in on their own (unless it was a regular visitor, like my best friend or parents) they were all fine. I had a good friend who was a vet (he died a few years ago from lung ailments left unchecked) who told me a lot about training. Being the Alpha is very important (you are the leader, they are NOT) and secondly, we always did everything we can as they are a puppy. Pull their ears, tail, etc. not hard, but just make it so it's no big deal. That way if a child grabs a tail later in life, it's no big deal. My vet buddy's point was that eventually if a child around, something is going to get grabbed, so get the dog used to it and all will be fine. Never had much problems with following his advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online