Almost a 911 thread but I need help please

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i bought this awsome 7.3 idi, 5spd, straight axle swap, less then 200k runs awsome fully service with receipts but one thing he replace the entire fuel system due to the dual tanks being bad so i run an 30 gallon aux in the bed, but when he did all of this he failed to tell me tell now a day after I bought that he turned up the new pump 6 flats a day before he sold to me....I have no gauges so howany turns for stock or just a flat???

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn your pump down until you don't have much black smoke and you'll be fine. Many folks run without a pyro, just be delicate until you know your truck and/or get a pyrometer.

Good luck and welcome to OB

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck doesn't smoke all that bad it's a diesel shift to higher gear and lay down the Pedal on anything is going coal a little bit but if I'm not doing that regular driving she doesn't smoke really and I only drive top speed 35 and and the day he tuned it and I bought it it was a 30 min drive just slow back roads driving so intell a gauge... I should be good or should just tune it down just in case?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
rolling coal is not cool. your waisting money and possibly hurting your truck. you NEED a EGT

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Six flats! that's a full turn, way too much, back it out at least four (4) flats before you shear the drive shaft off.

Rolling coal gives Diesel's a bad image, gives the tree huggers ammunition.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i have to admit.. my 1st gen 12v... yeah it would roll coal but it had a hx40 on it with POD injectors... dont know what POD stands for?

PRINCE OF DARKNESS... hehe... ok my friend was a little immature and well we had fun sometimes! blowing soot all over people at bus stops.

i was.... 21? i was just as cheap as i am now and hated wasting fuel :-D

TURN PUMP DOWN... GET EGT GAUGE... LEARN HOW A DIESEL ENGINE WORKS...

you dont use the skinny pedal like a gasser. watch your EGT gauge and learn how to use the minimum amount of fuel needed to drive/haul

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll I appreciate everyone input and the smart talk haha, the whole reason I went away from the gasser world being my 03 Chevy pre runner that out runs a ford raptor is to
Go slower, reliable and just have a diesel in all honestly, do I like coal running and the diesel trucks that are fast? He'll ya but my DD just want it to be reliable point a to be and just do my camping hunting and tow my rock crawler, so it being 6 flats, for stock or 2 flats how many turns counter clockwise is that ?

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i forgot to say.. pure clean exhaust isnt the best. these engines when timed properly. usually smoke a tiny bit of black when your really on it.

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my question is intell I get a pyrometer to Atleast make sure
Not melting my pistons or adding to capitation how many turns counterclockwise is back to stock just a full turn back?

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll I did the cold air intake mod after doing the soup bowl removal and figure I'm this far mind as we'll just do a quick intake and high performance cone filter of one of pre runners call it a day, did the RDT mod, my exuast is stright pipe with a 90 degree angle to the bed and cab split area so I ran it there, found out out I got inline electric and mechanic pump and so I figure with my 6 flat pump and intake design for desert racing figure I'll try my gasser knowledge and hybrid it to diesel world, took my intake manifold off and cleaned it up real nice and bored it out ( I have a full shop) and I got say only black smoke is starting in first gear on a hill or if I just lay the pedal down just a quick burst of it and she pretty clean intell I get my pryo Meyer I'll drive granny style lol pretty impressive

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea oldbull8, im in the navy and for awhile im stuck on a base where i cant have portable devices so when ever i work on my truck its some random as parkinglot of some parts store on base, but i do keep my camerea so once i get home i have before and after pics of my learning and experimenting with this truck, im certified jeep/dodge tech and build pre runners my 03 silverado call chery races agianst ford raptors and wins so as i learn about diesel along the way i think outside of the box and take my gasser world and make it work, but right now though im kinda nervous,my IP pump according to the PO saying its tuned up 6 flats and for some reason i cant find the allen key head, i tried bumbing the motor countless times, tommorow ill try turning the motor with a socket, now granted i have 37 military humvee m/t on military humvee 16.5 rims/beadlocks, 5 spd, stright pipe with my new modified intake manifold and cold air, so so far on the max 35 mph base but with some hills she honestly does not smoke, and i shift at torque specs(thats what i prefer) no higher then 2000 rpm, and since those mods iv done she doesnt coal like a tune up cummins, she does a little bit (intell i get a pryo this friday i have my mirror looking right at my exuast) when starting from dead stop or im on a good incline and either drop a gear or up a gear she blacks slightly obvously enough to see but its light black not coal running look and it goes away in less then a second, so now im paranoid, could the screw fall out?? or i just have bad luck and just need to spend more time with the mirror and flashlight for the allen head? or could the pump not be as turned up as he thinks?(he was a kid in school) when installing new IP is there a step for you to turn it up from when its out of the box and he didnt know that?? really dont want to melt anything and hoping if i get my pyro install that this hole time im running good temp and he just thought he turned it up that much when he didnt:dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's pretty easy.
You sure you're looking in the right place?

Have a buddy that's working on the 6.2/6.5 humvees help you.
Same pump. (Generally speaking)

If the fuel screw was gone, you'd be at minimum fueling.

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well finally fixed I think the kid Mis understood his turn, did one quarter of a turn and the only black smoke I see is if I Kay down to get up to speed on the highway and its a light black tint, I have to sayi love my truck, re did all my electrical today and my buddy with a cummins took a ride with me and he asked me " this is a non turbo?" And I proudly said nope just a 7.3 idi that just broke 200,000 miles last night and he had a bummer looked lol thanks everyone for your help and having patience for my new life as a diesel owner I brag about this forum 24/7!!!