All gears grinding

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) check fluid in master
2) check your master push rod to pedal assembly,
they do wear out and caused me the same issue.
the pin on the pedals,the rod, and the bushing
3) check cracked firewall,
an awesome fix for the firewall
http://www.terrapinmfg.com/product.php?cat=Ford
4) clutch forks will break.

if the above checks out, its time for a rebuild.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E4OD swap time.;Sweet
(SJ's ^ gunna love this one.:D )
Actually, there's one good thing that comes out of a ZF -> E4OD swap -- it makes available a ZF and accompanying goodies for someone who will appreciate them..... ;)

Sorry... back on topic, START with this simple "divide and conquer" test. Have an assistant work the pedal, full travel, while you slide under and measure the fork travel. At the very end of the fork, travel should be at least 1/2" to 9/16". If it's LESS, then the problem is "upstream" - hydraulics, pedal box / bushings, pushrod bushing, firewall (firewall shouldn't be a problem in that generation of truck, but still check). If you get at least the minimum travel, then the problem is "downstream" - fork, throwout bearing, pressure plate fingers.

But you may have two problems. If it's hard to engage and the pedal doesn't feel right, that's usu. a clutch disengagement issue (any of the above). The grinding, if it's grinding while going down the road NOT operating the clutch, then it's not a clutch problem. That would be low fluid, wrong/old fluid, or as said, rebuild time.

loganmick

Reaction score
Made a couple of discoveries today while I had my girlfriend over to work the clutch for me. The first was that it is a single mass flywheel. The second was the measurement I took only added up to be only 1/4" of movement at the fork. However there is quite a bit of movement on the slave side when the clutch is being fully depressed. It looks like it's pushing back. Any ideas on how to fix this?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the slave pushes the fork, but then the fork pushes it back, WHILE the GF is holding the pedal? That tells me it's a hydraulic failure, the piston in either the master or slave failing internally.

Or does "quite a bit of movement" mean something else?

loganmick

Reaction score
As the clutch is being depressed it appears that the slave assembly moves away from the transmission housing. Like it isn't being held properly.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, can you shoot a video of this? The slave clips onto the tranny case; it's possible that clip is damaged, or it might even be that one of the bosses on the tranny case is broken.

loganmick

Reaction score
Maybe the clip is busted on one side. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow. I'll shoot video if possible.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's just the clip, and the tranny case bosses are alright, I have a clip already removed from an old decommissioned slave. Yours for shipping.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the slave may be ready to POP apart and hanging on by a thread....so to speak. Remove it and inspect it thoroughy but DO NOT PRESS PEDAL WHEN OFF TRANS in case it is about to nlow apart no need lose an eye

loganmick

Reaction score
So I wound up replacing the slave because the clip looked worn out. After a while of bleeding I've got it working again. I went ahead and inspected the clutch fork while I was there it appears like it's being worn down on the sides. I peeked in the housing and the throw out bearing is all covered in crap. I foresee a clutch job in the near future. But for now it's fixed. Thanks for the help!