All gears grinding

loganmick

Reaction score
I have a 1991 f350 7.3 idi with a 5 speed. Since I've bought it 4th and 5th have always been loud with the grinding. But all of the sudden now all gears grind, and require force to get into gear. Is my transmission trashed? Or could it be the clutch not fully disengaging? Any ideas? Also when stopped with the clutch fully depressed if I slam it into gear the truck lurches foreward slightly.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like clutch to me. Do a search for firewall cracking, might also be an issue.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
4th being loud is a sign of bad bearings in the Trans. 4th gear is direct drive. The zf book states that anyways.
But also sounds like you have clutch problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could also be just a bad slave or master cylinder on the clutch circuit. Slamming into gear with a lurch is a classic sign of that. Have you checked your fluid level in the clutch master?

loganmick

Reaction score
Can't I buy a reman for $1400? I haven't checked the fluid level. I did look at the firewall and didn't see any give while depressing the pedal. Although it seems like the pedal is out of adjustment. I can't feel a good release when depressing the pedal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Correct.
Try watching the pedals up under the dash while you push the clutch by hand.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Watch where the arm that connects the clutch master cylinder. They're known to have the bushings wear out.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your clutch. Remove the thin sheet metal plate on the trans/bell housing and have someone work the clutch while you watch. Prolly the throw out bearing there is a bunch of plastic that likes to melt and break once the bearings are shot and if the clutch wont move out obviously your gonna have to slam the ***** into gear as you speak. Other than what's already been mentioned if the clutch moves in and out its prolly your tranny. The clutch should only move about .125 thousands of an inch (1/8 in. for you tape measure guy's. (sorry machine shop habits.)

loganmick

Reaction score
10-4 is there a possibility that the clutch fork could be damaged? I've read in the past that the zf5s fork has a tendency to crack.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4 is there a possibility that the clutch fork could be damaged? I've read in the past that the zf5s fork has a tendency to crack.

I honestly couldn't answer that from experience. The fork itself seems pretty beefy. Yes it is under hydraulic force to male it move but are the seals in the slave cylinder strong enough to hold enough pressure to bend the clutch fork I dont know. From my understanding and I could very well be wrong but the slave only puts out about 40 psi. I believe thats what I have read some where on here before I replaced my clutch but like I said dont hold me to that I could be way off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online