airtex

Reaction score
Dude, I know you're new and everything, but come on. These topics don't all warrant their own thread.

Mike

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, don't be sorry. This forum is for asking questions! We can't all be "experts" and know everything. I would kind of like to know why Airtex parts are supposed to be bad as well. What I really dislike is when someone asks a question and gets flamed for it. If you don't want to answer the question, or think the question does not warrant an honest answer, or perhaps do not know the answer, then don't respond.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I was just curious why everyone says that brand is bad I was thinking about replacing my mechanical fuel pump this evening but the advanced auto here only has the airtex in stock. It is for a work truck and I have debated about putting electric pump in it instead was just curious if it was so bad I was not even going to go through the effort of doing it

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The airtex pumps have been known for leaking prematurely and getting fuel into the engine oil. I agree with tbrumm, not everyone is an expert and for me there is no such thing as a stupid question.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I've tried various Airtex products for various vehicles and I can't speak to their longevity as most of the time the parts didn't fit! Electric fuel pumps that were as much as .250 too big to fit in the factory mounts, sending units where the flange was so off center you couldn't get the fuel tank lock ring back on.
I got tired of wasting my time with their cr*p so I boycott when possible, but in a pinch you use what you gotta.

Not a bad question really, don't just take someone's word about it, ask and find out why.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about finding a nice FoMoCo part...Motorcraft has a decent product for these engines....

JM2CW

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok
Bought one for my rockcrawler, lasted 2 weeks before the diaphram ruptures beaching me!
Fwiw

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
And I've seen some people say carter is good, well carter = airtex. Same company.
I would say majority have electric pumps. The rest are the tin foil hat wearing crowd. :flippa lol jk

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would install a facet duralift pump(electric) that way it eliminates the possibility of fuel getting into the crankcase via mechanical lift pump, If you can afford to buy one they run $90-130 depending on where you go. They're great, probably the best option for electric fuel. There is also a write up on how to install a facet Duralift pump in the IDI tech articles.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a Carter p4070 a couple years ago, I ordered a buddy one at the same time for his 6.9 that I help maintain.. Both are still working great. You don't really hear of too many of these failing.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of guys like the electric pumps. I've never had issues with the mechanical pumps to where I thought it worth the effort to swap them to an electric.