Airbag Question

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86' F350 has new rear springs in it and it rides ROUGH. I would like it to ride a bit better and I'm thinking of doing it with air bags.

Here is my idea:

I would take apart my leaf packs and remove a few leafs to soften the ride up and get my load capacity and ride height back with some air bags - the simple $250 kits that go between the springs and frame. In addition to that I need to add a anti-wrap bar as I've already got wheel hop issues, removing leafs won't help either. If this works in the rear, I'm thinking of doing the same up front...

Is this a sound idea or is there a better way to achieve what I'm after? I have a power tank, so adjusting ride height on the road is no problem...

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Sounds good for the back, but I am not too sure about it up front.

Why not run an engine mounted compressor? You could then also have air for tires, tools, and other things. You can also air up and down the rears from inside the cab.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
find the velvet ride rear shackles and do a reverse shackle kit on the front.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good for the back, but I am not too sure about it up front.

Why not run an engine mounted compressor? You could then also have air for tires, tools, and other things. You can also air up and down the rears from inside the cab.

Well onboard air would be a great addition, but not currently in the budget. I do plan on some sort of onboard air at some time, but for now I'll make due with CO2.

I think I can easily do it in the rear, it will just be trial and error on getting the correct amount of ride height and air pressure. I don't see why the front would be any different - the complete stock suspension, including track bar, would be in tact, it would just have helper bags to soften things up...

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
The front would just make me nervous since it is the steering axle.

As for on board air, it is actually cheaper than you would think. I used a junkyard York, and spare air tank and hose. I only added a safety blow off valve at the time and controlled it with a toggle. I added the other parts as money allowed. The hardest part is making the bracket. I only bring it up as it is the perfect excuse to add it right now, and you could control the ride on the go. It is also one of my favorite mods on my truck.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front would just make me nervous since it is the steering axle.

As for on board air, it is actually cheaper than you would think. I used a junkyard York, and spare air tank and hose. I only added a safety blow off valve at the time and controlled it with a toggle. I added the other parts as money allowed. The hardest part is making the bracket. I only bring it up as it is the perfect excuse to add it right now, and you could control the ride on the go. It is also one of my favorite mods on my truck.

Ill keep my eye out for a York...

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Sulastic shackles are the velvet ride equivalent. Alot of Lightning guys use them on high horsepower applications with nothing bad to say.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way am I spending $350 on a shackle with a rubber bushing... Thanks for the input guys - glad to know that it should work without killing a bus full of nuns.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've got front airbags on my truck, and with about 25 psi of air it rides MUCH nicer than my past trucks...

I found that the front end geometry on the D50 also has alot to do with how it rides (not that this effects you... with the D60)

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know - I couldn't see how airbags couldn't help up front..

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
on board air is a must. i was running a full blown air set up. i.e. no springs at all, and air is a must. i still have the front set up with it but i removed the rear as it failed on me twice.i replaced it rear with springs and my peace of mind is better because of it. it scares the hell out of you when you loose an air bag going down the highway pulling a fifth wheel with your children in the truck. i am currently fabricating a coil over/4 link for the front to replace the air system there. it was fun, but, not very practical. now, my set up is a little different then what you want to run, but air is air. the only problem i see is those bags are meant for limited use, not constant duty like you intend to run them. that would be my only concern.

chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online