Air in fuel lines

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the same issue. I just put new lines at the tanks and clear plastic inline filters "before" the FSV and another clear filter where the FWS used to be so I could look for air. Put it all back together and "yay" it would work on both tanks all good to go...and then three days later air intrusion! The classic start for three seconds and shut off, and crank-crank-crank. Does the lift pump have an anti-drainback valve? The clear filter at the FWS location is full and I can see fuel pumping into it when cranking. But some how the filter is losing prime? If I take the fuel line to the rear tank off of the FSV it has great vacuum and will just keep pouring until you pinch a line.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the same issue. I just put new lines at the tanks and clear plastic inline filters "before" the FSV and another clear filter where the FWS used to be so I could look for air. Put it all back together and "yay" it would work on both tanks all good to go...and then three days later air intrusion! The classic start for three seconds and shut off, and crank-crank-crank. Does the lift pump have an anti-drainback valve? The clear filter at the FWS location is full and I can see fuel pumping into it when cranking. But some how the filter is losing prime? If I take the fuel line to the rear tank off of the FSV it has great vacuum and will just keep pouring until you pinch a line.

It works just like taking the straw in your drink at the restaurant, putting it down in the glass and holding your finger over the end to seal it off, and then lifting the straw out of the drink. As long as you keep the end sealed with your finger, the drink stays in the straw.

That's how this fuel system in these trucks work. There is a supply line coming from the fuel pump on the pass side front corner, and there is a return line going down the back of the engine and back to the tanks. Everything on top of the engine must be sealed tight. That means all the fuel line fittings, the fuel filter gaskets, AND all the return line fittings. That would be all the little lines going from injector to injector, and the o-rings inside the injector return fittings. These o-rings are famous for getting old hard, and letting air in. When they have fuel running through them they may just seep a little bit and not cause a problem, but when the system is turned off it's doing the drink in the straw thing, and any little bit of air that can get in will let the fuel start draining back to the tank through the return system.

So look over the whole fuel line system for dampness, especially around the top of the injectors. The last time I had air intrusion it was the small line going from the injection pump to the return system. It was obvious, it was damp with fuel.

The red lines in the picture below are the return lines. Some engines have a little bit different routing though.

You must be registered for see images attach

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and looked everything over, and over :) and sure enough one of the return caps is bubbling! I just replaced all of the line and caps last Oct. The air intrusion blues makes me wonder why I love this old beast so much? ;)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Love hate relationship. Lol
On my PSD the water pump started leaking again after I got back from basic. Just put it on last year.
Found out today my rear tank leaks if I try filling it to the brim. Didn't used to do that. Lol
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and looked everything over, and over :) and sure enough one of the return caps is bubbling! I just replaced all of the line and caps last Oct. The air intrusion blues makes me wonder why I love this old beast so much? ;)

I have had that happen also and I have new o-rings too. What I have done is with the engine running go up and grab the cap on the injector and twist it back and forth. It usually leaks worse when you do this, and the ones near it may leak a little bit, you can give them a wiggle too. Then let it sit and run(you can mop up the mess if you want) and I find each time it seals back up and I don't have any more problems with it.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Bump. Mine 's decided to have air intrusion, after running for 1,000 miles since reassembly.

What's strange is that I have a noticeable leak dripping onto the ground when parked... crossmember's wet, but I can't find where it's coming from.

Fun for me. Love/hate? You betcha. :frustrate :love: :frustrate :love: :frustrate

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought mine was the caps because I found one bubbling. But it would lose prime in just 15 mins. and I could smell diesel. Finally found it! The supply line from the filter to Ip was leaking at both ends! Couldn't see it because I have a kevlar cover over the line. As soon as I fixed that I am back to starting before a whole revolution of the engine. It is amazing how well these engines run when leak free, and just as amazing how often they leak. ;)

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the clear return line test--no bubbles. I ran it, shut it down, and let it sit while I watched for bubbles. None.
So, that means I'm air tight in my bleeder lines and tank return line, right?

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a clear connector at the filter head to IP line now and when mine is acting up I can see the bubbles moving back to the filter. The problem is when it acts up I can't really find any obvious problem and then it will resolve itself?

Last edited:

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried the clear return line test--no bubbles. I ran it, shut it down, and let it sit while I watched for bubbles. None.
So, that means I'm air tight in my bleeder lines and tank return line, right?

I think you should look for bubbles while running also?

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you're clear lines aren't undersized. If they are it can creat air bubbles. Also, have you guys all checked your tank pick ups to make sure they aren't broken off/ sucking air?

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no bubbles running, either.
New pickup/sending unit in rear tank, and saddle tank is bypassed.
I think I'm good up top; I guess I'll have to investigate from the filter head back.
I'm skeptical of the water separator I installed -- a Goldenrod -- in that it frequently has an air gap at the top that is visible through the clear bowl. Sometimes the thing is full of diesel to the top, and other times it's not. I read that it's not an issue, but I still have my doubts. I think my next test procedure is to bypass that filter and see if my air problem goes away.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New pickup screens or did you just do a piece of tube hanging down to bottom
Of tank?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pickup screens and anything in the fuel tank is not going to cause the hard/no start air intrusion problem. Problems in that area cause air to be sucked in while it's running, which can cause surging and rough running. Two different things that cause different symptoms, even though both involve air.