Air in fuel lines

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, weekend before last, I replaced all the bleeder hoses between the injectors and to the filter head. In my investigation of my on-going air intrusion problem, I noticed that some of the little hoses were loose and starting to crack at the ends. Did that, started the truck, poked the purge valve and let it run for a bit. Next morning, it fired right up. Let it sit the week. Cranked it Saturday, and it fired up. Drove it across town and back to pick up a shop fan. I noticed that when I got back in the truck to come back to the house, I had the tell-tale bump-and-surge thing going on for the first few seconds after startup, but it ran fine. Let her sit overnight, and tried to crank her over Sunday morning--lost prime.

It seems like driving it affects whatever air leak there is. On the Saturday before, I just let it idle in the driveway, and it cranked over fine the next day and then 5 days later. Drove it, and then no workee the next morning.

:frustrate:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Sounds like time for new return lines and olives.
Might also be a good idea to do away with the stock fuel water seporator that's the biggest source of air intrusion.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score

gandalf

Reaction score
What you show on you post from Amazon is not an olive. That is just a regular viton o ring. The olive looks more like a chunk of tubing cut to length.

I have a good picture on my desktop at home, but that's 3500 miles away.

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yes, if you did not do the o-rings at that time you need to.

I considered that, but I believe the injectors are relatively new AND I wiggled the caps on all the injectors while I was replacing the lines, and I see no signs of seepage at all. And while I know that there can be air intrusion without fuel leakage, I really don't think the issue is with the injectors. I may be wrong. I have been before. ;)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered that, but I believe the injectors are relatively new AND I wiggled the caps on all the injectors while I was replacing the lines, and I see no signs of seepage at all. And while I know that there can be air intrusion without fuel leakage, I really don't think the issue is with the injectors. I may be wrong. I have been before. ;)

I don't believe new o-rings come with new injectors. The problem is the o-rings get old and loose their flexibility. If you do not know the history of them, just replace them. You can order the viton o-rings or if you want to just replace them with what the factory used, you can get the Buna-N rings from tractor supply. I have forgotten the size, but they have them in a pack hanging on the rack in the hydraulic repair section.

gandalf

Reaction score
Where does one get these "olives"?

I got mine at an International dealer. You can, however, do it much easier now, sitting in your armchair, so to speak. You can order them from either Russ, "TYPE4" or Mel, "AGNEM". Both have a strong presence here in the forum.

There, I found the picture in question. I've uploaded it long ago, so it was just a matter of finding it. The olive is at the tip of the arrow. The old olive is still on the hard line. They do get old and brittle, so if you do anything to them it's usually best to replace. That, BTW, is the hard line between the fuel filter and the IP.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF7922.JPG
    DSCF7922.JPG
    811.7 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online