Air filter relocated and RDT thoughts?

Lumberjack84

Reaction score
Hey everyone! hope you all are have been doing great! we just got out of evacuation up here from the butte fire
finally got around to moving my air filter to fender with a bottom half box and what a difference it made! boost comes on even faster and the whistle is even better driving now :D When I get hired at the two jobs I'm waiting on right now instead of doing small side jobs I'm gonna save up for some moose products ;Sweet
moved the over flow back where the "coffee can" was and put the coffee can next to the over flow under the master. just don't have the washer fluid box on right now, I do have a vintage ford washer fluid bag I currently misplaced and was thinking of using that and then I have to extend the overflow hose just a tad so it goes to the bottom again. it may not be the prettiest but it functions good for me. the rubber boot for the intake is from a 7.3 psd coneccting to my existing tubing.
and then RDT I did up cause my cdr pumps a lot of oil into my intake, trying to get a hold of another filler neck from a buddy and doing some fabrication to it to have the RDT there instead of buying the banks part. the tube is 1" ID, is that good enough? don't want to blow anything out on the engine:( want to go to 1 1/4"ID when I get the other filler neck to fiddle with. also got some new ford o rings coming for the return caps, whole drivers side is leaking and the passenger side has all but one leaking, just did the whole kit back in February but disturbed the lines recently on accident while under the hood and man did they not like that :mad: and didn't want to buy a whole other kit so just bought the rings.
would love thoughts on all of this please, thank all of you
You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the RDT I would use the largest possible hose to eliminate any flow issue. I think I used 1" but a little bigger wont hurt anything. if you noticed a difference with air filter location you will be very happy with some moose products, that's when I noticed a big difference in boost and power.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are mixed opinions on RDT's. Some people have success with them, others have issues with it blowing seals. I needed a CDR a few years ago so I went the RDT route. I immediately started getting oil leaks. They got worse and worse, but then didn't get worse after a certain point. It smoked like crazy, tons of stares at stop lights. Couldn't have windows down at stop lights, could have them down at stop signs but only if I didn't stop for very long. I absolutely hated it and so did everyone around me. I finally decided to remove it and toss a new CDR on. Now I feel stupid for not doing it sooner. No more smoke, no more pouring oil everywhere I went. It is so much better. I was hoping I didn't permanently ruin the seals running it that way for so long, but I got lucky.

In my experience it is well worth it, many times over, to replace the CDR.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a catch can using a Goldenrod filter between the Banks adapter and the CDR. Goldenrod has a stainless strainer that can be used in place of the filter element. I added a stainless pot scrubber around the strainer, done after this photo was taken. I am catching quite a bit of oil. Some still makes it to the turbo, but not much.
I was wondering how you were affected by the fire. My neighbor's parents live in West Point.
Edit: Rt click on pic and select "view image" to get a better size.

Attachments

• DSC00172.jpg
    DSC00172.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 71

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1" id should be okay, would probably try for 1-1/4" if possible. Big thing is to avoid excessive restriction from kinks, bends, fittings, etc. Many of the fittings (like elbows) are quite small inside if you look closely, so a 1" fitting may only be 3/4" or less, which is close to 50% of the area, and add the restriction from a sharp change in direction - not good.

Another thing is what hose you use. I've found a few parts stores carry something like a hydraulic return hose or fuel filler hose in a 1"+ size that will work well. Most of the other plastic type hose will get soft/eaten away from either the oil or the heat and this can cause it to collapse and kink especially at any bends.

Lumberjack84

Reaction score
I ran a catch can using a Goldenrod filter between the Banks adapter and the CDR. Goldenrod has a stainless strainer that can be used in place of the filter element. I added a stainless pot scrubber around the strainer, done after this photo was taken. I am catching quite a bit of oil. Some still makes it to the turbo, but not much.
I was wondering how you were affected by the fire. My neighbor's parents live in West Point.
Edit: Rt click on pic and select "view image" to get a better size.
I like that filter setup, went back to improved cdr setup on mine (better hose) and will get a new one soon. and we live right along one of the three rivers and it burned all the way from where it started in amador county line and jumped over to calaveras and burned around the areas of moke hill, mtn ranch pretty good and was making a break towards west point and jumped the south river and a dozer line but the second line held it off from going any further. we left a few hours before the mandatory evac becuase we were ash and debris such as burning bark and leaves at the house, had one spot fire also lost a building on the other side of west point. whats your neighbors parents name if you don't mind me asking? probably know them

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neighbors last name is Schembri. Not sure on spelling. My neighbor went there and pulled a 1929 Dodge out of his Dad's place and brought it up here. It should be going back if things are looking OK.

Lumberjack84

Reaction score
Neighbors last name is Schembri. Not sure on spelling. My neighbor went there and pulled a 1929 Dodge out of his Dad's place and brought it up here. It should be going back if things are looking OK.

schembri sounds familiar, got ahold of my folks and asked if they knew them and they said it sounded familiar too. is the dodge burgundyish and silver?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt if the Dodge has been seen running in years. It is a complete roadster with a cloth top and cracked blue paint. The engine isn't frozen, but hasn't run in a long time. Nice pack rat nest in the trunk.