Air Compressor

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Anyone ever install an air compressor on there rig under the hood? Ive seen it done on a truck and would like to go about doing it to mine. Thanks

[email protected]

Reaction score
I put one on the frame rail, on the side opposite the gas tanks. Air tank is in the same spot.

Wayne

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of compresser, engine drivin or electric? i think that a elecric whould get to hot under the hood, but caddys and lincolns both have put factory compressers under hoods. now on to the engine driven, i have done a butt load of them and would do them over a electric one any day of the week.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I bought a Viair system, and it is electric. Works great, and not my 88 F-250 has a real horn that gets the respect it deserves... LOL!

Wayne

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what viair pump do you have? i never had good luck with them. they always seemed to loose power after time.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Al_E did an engine swap like mine (IH into a Chevy) and he has a belt driven compressor hooked up to the engine for his air suspension. I believe it was a York that he used.

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think so, but there so damn easy to do. now try stuffin one under the hood of a 91 caprice, that on was one of the tuffest ones i have done. i had to move the alternater to the other side and lay the york on its side where the alt used to be.

if you have the room and the patients to built brackets, the pump to use is the ones off of the 70's dodge v8 trucks. they are a v-twin like a hd motor and pump a ass load of air, but the brackets are a royal pain in the ass to build.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
u want on board air? u CAN use the stock a/c compressor or u can swap to a York compressor. i have an article from FSB (fullsizebronco) that expalins how to do the conversion to a stock compressor.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
u want on board air? u CAN use the stock a/c compressor or u can swap to a York compressor. i have an article from FSB (fullsizebronco) that expalins how to do the conversion to a stock compressor.

I was thinking about that the other day while I was combining, using the a/c compressor as a compressor. Thats interesting you can actually do that ;Sweet, I'm not giving up my A/C though :D

RedTruck

Reaction score
Heath (Hesutton) has a belt driven York on his rig. He and his dad made the brackets. You can see a pic of it in the under hood shots thread. They did a nice job.

Paul

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, got a York driven off a belt from the PS pump's pulley. It makes tons of air and I use if for air horns, air up tires, run an impact or whatever you need air for when you are not at your garage. I have a small air tank under the passenger's side of the bed. We used a regular air compressor regulator from a compressor with a crushed tank. It turns on the Yorks clutch at <85 psi and shuts it off at 125 psi. There are photos below.

You must be registered for see images

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, those are good pics. Wouldn't take much work on your part to make up a tech article for me on this, now would it? ;Really

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, those are good pics. Wouldn't take much work on your part to make up a tech article for me on this, now would it? ;Really

Well........I started on one before we had a baby, moved back to Kentucky, started a practice and blah, blah,.......excuses....excuses.:D

I should just bite the bullet and finish the thing.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel