air bag

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me when Ford first starting using a driver side air bag in our old IDI's? How about anti-lock brakes?

My wife wants to buy our son a truck but she wont get anything unless it has the above mentioned crap. I want him to have an IDI, so I'm hoping the above requirements fall into this category! Thanks

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Can someone tell me when Ford first starting using a driver side air bag in our old IDI's? How about anti-lock brakes?

My wife wants to buy our son a truck but she wont get anything unless it has the above mentioned crap. I want him to have an IDI, so I'm hoping the above requirements fall into this category! Thanks

Ford did not start putting airbags in trucks till 94. But that was only in F150s. F250, 350,450, 550,...... Did not get airbags till 99

As for anti lock brakes. they got them in the rear only in 87 or so

So while A idi will most likley have Rear ABS it DEFFINATLY will NOT have an air bag

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but buy him a hot gf with huge knockers and youre set
also the 88 bs steering wheel looks like one

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
take a steering column off a 94-97 F150 and swap her in. if you dont hook it up she wont know.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
come on the kids going be in a rock solid truck. i personaly i will let my son drive a truck w/o a airbag when the time comes (i still got 14 years till then)

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I'd rather drive a vehicle without a forward airbag anyways......My thoughts are that a frontal bag can do more damage than good.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Instead of buying the kid airbags, buy the wife an education on supplimental restraint sustems (SRS ) They were made manditory by the insurance lobby to cut down on medical bills from wrecks because so many people don't wear seatbelts. not because they are better than seatbelts.The airbag is there to take the place of the seatbelt for teh fools who arent' wearing one. get the kid a nice late 250 with the rear abs and rig it with a high end seatbelt with an ignition lockout ( you can put a sensor in the seat so he cant just lock the belt behind his back, they have those things now where they can tell if there s a gut behind the belt). If that doesn't make her happy, there's something wrong with her.

If airbags were so great they would be in race cars ( for that matter so would ABS -cuss Whatever happened to being taken out on the ice and learning how to control a vehicle when it's sliding? It;s always fully to watch all these people who haven't been properly trained to drive in adverse conditions because they think they have a bunch of computers that are going to take care of everything for them, when it all doesn't work right :rotflmao

If that's not good enough, you could take a late model steering column with an air bag and grab an inertia switch off just about any fuel injection car and rig it in the front bumper to trigger teh air bag Probably one off a psd would be calibrated for the weight of teh vehicle
I have a 97 steering column I'm getting ready to install and I've tossed around ideas on how to activate teh thing just to make my insurance rates go down, I'm not real fond of teh things.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
.The airbag is there to take the place of the seatbelt for teh fools who arent' wearing one.

I will argue with you on this comment. Airbags going off without a seatbelt are far more dangerous than no airbag at all. It is a proven fact.
An airbag with a seatbelt is very effective though

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I told the wife, we all grew up without this extra saftey crap and we're all fine.
She says ya, but we needed it.
You know, you just cant argue with some women!-cuss

The problem with kids nowadays, is they are all being sissyfied! Another ten years and they wont be able to wipe their own @#$.

What really sucks is, he wants an old IDI and spotted a nice 89 bricknose in Phoenix that he wanted us to go look at but......Well you know the rest.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I told the wife, we all grew up without this extra saftey crap and we're all fine.
She says ya, but we needed it.
You know, you just cant argue with some women!-cuss

The problem with kids nowadays, is they are all being sissyfied! Another ten years and they wont be able to wipe their own @#$.

What really sucks is, he wants an old IDI and spotted a nice 89 bricknose in Phoenix that he wanted us to go look at but......Well you know the rest.
Why don't you *invest * in an education experiment. Go to the insurance pool auction and buy a truck like the 89 and then an average little car that comes with all tthe garbage she wants and take tehm out to the desert and right in front of her, crash them into each other.... then while holding her head pointing at the remains, ask her which one she wants her son driving.. I'd say a nice T bone ought to do the trick. You could do it both ways, it would be amusing a tbone into a pickup just gets you floorboard damage up to the frame and the extra door strength slows it down After seeing mazda mush she won't want to get in a regular car again ( just don't use a mercedes or Volvo friggen things are built like race cars)

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you *invest * in an education experiment. Go to the insurance pool auction and buy a truck like the 89 and then an average little car that comes with all tthe garbage she wants and take tehm out to the desert and right in front of her, crash them into each other.... then while holding her head pointing at the remains, ask her which one she wants her son driving.. I'd say a nice T bone ought to do the trick. You could do it both ways, it would be amusing a tbone into a pickup just gets you floorboard damage up to the frame and the extra door strength slows it down After seeing mazda mush she won't want to get in a regular car again ( just don't use a mercedes or Volvo friggen things are built like race cars)

Good idea. At least she is willing to buy him a big truck and not a car but I dont want a modern diesel at my house, I hear them powersmokes arent cheap to fix. No Dodge or Chevy allowed!
Maybe I'll be able to convince her that antilock brakes are good enough, without the air bag bs.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird. My '92's dash has a light for a driver airbag, and it even light's up when i turn the key on.

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy him a ford ranger and do a cummins 4bt swap to it then hell be safe and have a kick ass truck and personally i think anti lock brakes are more dangerious and so are are bags studies show that people in acidents become more injured by the air bags and iv never lliked abs every truck iv had with abs actully makes quick stops more dangerious

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online