ahhhhh. my wallet hurts

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:frustrate .well i got the zf-5 down finally. found why it locked down. bearings on the first and reverse gear welded themselves tohte shaft. in the process it destroyed the gears (1st & rev) and the 1&2 syncro bodys also he 5th and rev synchro body. the other blocker rings were border line and im just dumped $900 into rebuilding it. also re did the tcase too and the solid clutch and fly wheel conversion. all in all $1600. how do yall htink i did? did i get a deal for the tranny rebuild t case rebuild and clutch/fw conversion?

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the complete rebuild with chain was just under $100 bearings seals o rings and chain. and a coulple othe odds n n's oh and gaskets

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:frustrate .well i got the zf-5 down finally. found why it locked down. bearings on the first and reverse gear welded themselves tohte shaft. in the process it destroyed the gears (1st & rev) and the 1&2 syncro bodys also he 5th and rev synchro body. the other blocker rings were border line and im just dumped $900 into rebuilding it. also re did the tcase too and the solid clutch and fly wheel conversion. all in all $1600. how do yall htink i did? did i get a deal for the tranny rebuild t case rebuild and clutch/fw conversion?
what happened to your trans is common to towing a ZF equipped truck without disconnecting the driveshaft.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
absolutely i know thats what happened. and the oil hasnt been changed in god knows how long since the tranny aint turning no oils bein splahed around and runs dry thats the conclusion i came to as soon as i saw it. cudos to ya i wanted to see if anyone brought that up. haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online