Advancing the timing on a 6.9

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Is it possible or is it a good idea for me to advance my timing a bit on my 6.9 since I've got my pump turned up? If so can someone please instruct me how to do this?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
how does the truck sound cold with the high idle on.

should sound comparable to a psd

to adjust timing loosen 3 bolts that hold ip to gear tower and rotate to passengers side to advance and drivers to retard.

do a search and there are many threads with way more detailed instructions

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
how do you know when its on high idle? it idles slower when cold and once its warmed its faster

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
when cold you should be able to press the pedal and the truck will idle up due to the hi idle solenoid mounted at the front of the throttle linkage. Truck most def shouldnt idle slower when cold

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
mine kind of lopes until warm because i dont think the glow plugs are working right. but thats another story

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
OK. Firstly, there are two cold start systems on your Injection Pump. One is the cold idle, this bumps the throttle up, and causes the truck to idle higher. The solinoid is not strong enough to overcome the return spring, so you should always pump your pedal once while your WTS light is on, to let it engage. The second system, is the cold start advance. This advances the timing on the IP while the engine is cold. There is a dramatic difference in the sound of the engine while this is engaged (provided it is timed close to correctly)

You should be able to see if the cold idle solenoid is working. Next time your truck is cold, before you start it. Turn the key on, and pop the hood. (do not pump the pedal) Then once under the hood, cycle the throttle by hand. You should see the plunger pop up on the solenoid when you do that.

As far as the cold advance. You need a meter to test for that. So let us assume it works for a moment. First, you need a pump wrench. You can make one out of a tight space wrench with a grinder (use the search button, there are many posts on that) Next, there are two connectors on the top of your IP, IIRC the once closest to the front of the engine is the cold advance. First, with a dog clip wire, make that hot. Then bump your IP towards the passenger side of the truck one dimes width at a time. (there should be marks on the IP and IP housing you will be able to use for reference) Tighten down and start the truck between each move (NEVER START THE TRUCK IF THE IP IS NOT TIGHTENED DOWN, YOU WILL DESTROY IT) You are listening for a pronounced rattle, it literally sounds "like a powerstroke." Personally it almost sets my teeth on edge. Once you get that sound, pull of the advance wire while it is running. It should settle down into that IDI rumble. If it does not, go back, you've advanced too far.

Honestly, timing it that way is a B!%@H, just rent a timing meter from Gary (icanfixall) He runs a timing meter rental program. Trust me, a meter takes ALL the headache out of timing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]IIRC the once closest to the front of the engine is the cold advance.
Correction if I may.

The connection closest to the front of the engine is the Fuel Control Solenoid, the next one back towards the rear is the Cold Advance Solenoid.

Attachments

• DVC01376.JPG
    DVC01376.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 95

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Correction if I may.

The connection closest to the front of the engine is the Fuel Control Solenoid, the next one back towards the rear is the Cold Advance Solenoid.

Ish not sober, and didn't feel like going out to the truck to double check. =P