Adjusting the Injection Pump

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far clockwise can you turn the fuel delivery adjusting screw from the stock setting?

After installing a new turbo I removed the small cover on the passenger side of the injection pump, lined up the engine, and used a 5/32 allen wrench to turn the pump up. There are six sides or flats to an allen screw. I turned it in clockwise 3 to 4 flats and I don't think it will go in any farther. Is that normal? The directions say to turn the screw in one flat. I dynod the truck with 1/6 of a turn and with it all the way up. At least I think it was all the way up?

Also anyone know where I can get longer than stock brake lines for the front? How about an extended radius arm for a 2wd 1987 truck?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not really sure anyone can say for certain how far in you can turn the adjusting screw. It all depends on where you started from. It wll stop when its all the way in... So I'm told... No jokes either guys... I know someone really wants to add something but... These adjustment screws are really tuff to turn sometimes. The pensacola pump on my truck requires plenty of torque... Then it snaps like I broke something. As soon as I get it dynoed i'm installing my Moose pump and then getting another dyno run. Then off to the rally....:sly

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting with the screw turned all the way counterclockwise I wonder how many turns it would take to get it turned in all the way clockwise?:dunno

I'll check tomorrow.

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I was told by a Stanadyne builder that turned all the way up is usually only 1/2-1full turn. 3-4 flats would be 3/4 of a turn and should be about maxed out by that logic. On my pump, I had the luxury of turning it up while it was off the truck, I turned it till it stopped, about a full turn, then backed it out about halfway, should be 2-3 flats and on that particular pump, halfway between maxed out and stock delivery. I think icanfixall is right though on any given pump it may be a bit different. I wanted EGT readings with and without towing and hauling before I maxed it out completely. I don't want to be a smog hog and contribute to people thinking these IDIs are bad for the environment and I really rather not have to watch my pyro like a hawk at all times.

high psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting with the screw turned all the way counterclockwise I wonder how many turns it would take to get it turned in all the way clockwise?:dunno

I'll check tomorrow.

Turning the screw all the way counterclockwise is a really bad idea. You would essentially be removing the screw, and then good luck getting it re-installed without disassembling the pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turning the screw counter clockwise is turning down the fuel. Mel told me I could turn down my Moose pump no more than 2 full turns. Any more and the internal parts may come off the adjustments. I think I'm turned down 1 full turn plus 1 or 2 flats. Turning it down too much will cause the screw to hit the internal body.... You don't want that....

farriswheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what exactly is a flat? how much of a turn is a flat?

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing I checked back with oilburners! I was about to open a major can of worms. I dialed the screw back about 1/2 a turn from all the way clockwise.

Thanks high psi

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo eh?;Really That'll help with the rally road trip!;Sweet Gonna dyno it at TS with us?

I was told by Ken at DPS that I could crank my modified IP all the way clockwise, then to "crack" it back off the bottom just a hair.:dunno So far so good.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle