adjustable rod going into governor rod settings?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets just say someone on here was shimming his governor spring to get a little more max rpm, and didn't realize that the rod going into the governor shaft had an adjustment to it until it was too late. Does anyone know what this rod actually controls?

In case you need further description, once the top cover is off, looking down onto the pump, it looks like a bleeder coming out of the housing just above the lines going out to the injectors. It has a hex key cutout in the end of it with a jam nut.

Any help would be appreciated, cause this pumps going on the truck tonight, and I hope I got it close. Thanks guys

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the one directly above the injector lines I don't remember what it does but if it is near the top of the IP, goes in at a slight angle and a 1/8" allen wrench fits it, it is called the torque screw. It can be backed out up to 4 turns for more fuel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rod your talking about is part of the min/max govenor setting. That thing actually has like 3 or 4 springs on/in it. The external adjustment which you messed with, and an internal adjustment. Touch any one of them, and things can get weird. The external control adjusts the spring presure on the internal spring. Best of luck to you. :sorry:

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
luckily the pump had some of the "this voids your warranty paint" on the nut, so I think I have it set close to where it was. I added 2 small washers to the max spring with the hopes of getting it above 2700rpm. I have 2 pumps, and neither of them will pull over that. I know get a 6.2 spring, but I don't have one so I'm improvising.

sootman73

Reaction score
does putting a 6.2l spring really work for more rpm? i thought it was just weights in the pump that controlled rpm? cuz i have a 6.2l pump and would love to have more than 3,000 rpm...

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... You guys have something wrong if you can't get more than 3000 RPM.. It's only CTD's that don't spin faster than that. You should be able to get 3300 at least(that's the HP peak.) My personal 6.9 defuels at around 3700....
I have seen a bad tach/sender cause rpm readings lower than they should be, 1200rpm low with it at the governor on one truck.

Last edited:

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does putting a 6.2l spring really work for more rpm? i thought it was just weights in the pump that controlled rpm? cuz i have a 6.2l pump and would love to have more than 3,000 rpm...
It will and can get something like 4000 rpms with it but if you can't even get your IP to turn the 3600 that it should I wonder if a different spring would do anything for you or if the pump has bigger problems

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure at what RPM your going to have problems with valve springs, but it is something to consider.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had two different motors in this truck, two different pumps, two different fuel feed pumps, and no combination has ever turned more than 27-800. But I'm sure this motor is out of a short bus. So it would have the lower rpm gov. springs from what I've been told.

I'm just shooting for 3500. I'd be happier, and I think the truck would pull the boat better. At least then I can pull up higher before shifts, ending back up just over 2000 after the shift.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that you are getting full travel from your accelerator cable? Did both pumps come from industrial engines. I bet your truck would do a little better with more rpms considering max HP was measured at 3300 rpms

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my dads truck will pull 3800 rpm all day long, and it still has the factory ip on it, my truck i have no idea what it tachs cause i dont have a working tach:mad: but its my own fault that it dont work. and i have been wondering about raising the max rpm governer speed to 4000 rpm give or take a little, hard hard is it to do?

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've done it to a few trucks. One of the pumps was a IH spec pump that wouldn't turn more than 3k after the 6.2 swap it would turn 4k with ease. I usually pull a 45' tri-axle gooseneck When loaded heavy with my old '85 hauler I would shift at 3800-4000 RPM to merge in traffic. 4000rpm 12+lbs boost shifts sound wicked thru the stacks. I miss that truck sometimes:(

I don't know at what point the valve springs can't keep up but I've never had a problem with 4k.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it alive. The pump is one that I had on the truck previously, a fresh rebuilt pump with stock settings, by adding (3) 1/4" washers where the factory only had 1 on the governor max spring, I have a completely different truck, with too high of a governor, but it's good. I think I'll tear it back apart and remove 1 washer, but it did see 42-300 last night on a free rev. So, I believe 1 or 2 washers would have gotten me to the rpm I was looking for, but now if let an idiot drive it, they could very well blow it up. So I'm going to back it down some, turn the fuel screw up 2 flats like my other pump, and bump the timing a hair, and my truck might be ready for a test pull on the boat later this weekend, just to see how it does.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
at 4200 is were the valves are supose to start to float, if it was me i would set the rpm governer to about 4000, could you pm me instructions on how you done that to your governer?