adjuseble engine t-stat w/by pass 150-180 degress

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Look cool. Keep us posted!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Interesting idea... Not sure how it will work... sure would be great if we could adjust it from inside the trucks... Wow.. that would be nice...;Sweet:sly

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that what Ford and IH offer is Juuuuuuust RIGHT.....not too cold....not too hot....just right...

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like the idea if it was 180-210, but 150-180 is too cold, the engine would overheat with a load.

bigpanda16

Reaction score
The coolant would flow too quickly thought the radiator and not get cooled as the time it spent there was not long enough. It is a vicious cycle when you have no or a stuck open thermostat

Black dawg

Reaction score
The coolant would flow too quickly thought the radiator and not get cooled as the time it spent there was not long enough. It is a vicious cycle when you have no or a stuck open thermostat

you should research that a little, as it is only true under certain conditions

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
IMO especially on these trucks 180 is to cold, you want them around 200-210, furthermore why would you ever need to change it?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
210 is about 3 degrees above normal operating temp for a diesel, anything below high 190s your loosing power and efficency, above 235 your risking warping a head (with regular coolant).

Diesel and gas have diffrent operating ranges as far as coolant goes, whats burning up for a gasser (210) is just above normal for a diesel, while on the flip side normal for a gasser (185) is to cold for a diesel.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
210 is not hot enough to boil any moisture out of the oil. 210 is not anywhere near burning up.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine temperature gauge is reading 210-220 (when working hard), that is fine. Nothing wrong with those temps. Diesel engines need a certain amount of heat to be both efficient and keep engine wear to a minimum. At 150, the engine will run too cool and won't be as efficient, thus decrease mileage and increase both engine wear and emissions. Running a cool thermostat won't benefit much of anything in my opinion. It is not like running a cool thermostat will fix any overheating issues you may have been experiencing. If your engine is overheating with the motorcraft thermostat, you need to look into your vehicles cooling system (radiator, hoses, water pump, etc).

For the past year, I had been running a crap Murray thermostat (190 degree) in my rig. During the summer, I noticed that my engine would get "hot" while going down the highway (the fan clutch would kick on...then off etc.). And in the winter, my engine never seemed to warm up. It would literally take about 12 miles to warm the engine up to normal op temp. So I eventually got tired of that nonsense and recently installed a OEM Motorcraft thermostat. All problems fixed. My engine seems to warm up so much faster and once warmed up, the op temps are lower as well. A properly functioning thermostat is necessary for a properly running idi!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online