Additives in the fuel

tham

1994 F250 IDI Turbo
Reaction score
I am just curious what everyone is using to add to the diesel fuel for lubrication? I have been using the Lucas brand that Advance auto parts suggested but it sure does get expensive. Just looking for other options that might be a little easier on the wallet.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Been using outboard ashless 2 stroke oil for years now along with power service gray bottle on summer and white bottle during winter time. Used to think lucas being so thick should add some lube to the fuel but apparently it doesn't, the test showed above says it all.

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been using outboard ashless 2 stroke oil for years now along with power service gray bottle on summer and white bottle during winter time. Used to think lucas being so thick should add some lube to the fuel but apparently it doesn't, the test showed above says it all.

Exactly what i do. Seems to be working great. ;Sweet

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using the gallon size jugs of diesel kleen from walmart, pretty reasonable if you follow the directions.

Is 2 stroke oil better or is it cheaper?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
will it hurt a diesel? what kind of things could one expect from running lucas for quite some time?

in our injectors? Probably nothing. Its a WASTE of MONEY in a diesel. I've put that stuff in diesel before and it makes it foam. Foam in a high pressure injector = no bueno.

It does nothing for lubricity at all. Nothing. I get pissed everytime i hear the advance guys pushing this stuff for everything.

2 stroke oil is great for us. Biodiesel too.

I tell my buddies to run Powerservice just because the diesel around here is so crappy.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run Stanadyne Preformance Formula. It ups the cetane and lubes the pump plus ups the hp some. There are better additives but this is what I use.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I have been a Lucas user in all of my diesels and vehicles for over 15 yrs. and I have seen mpg improvement and oil pressure/temps are better too in the big trucks and all of my vehicles no matter what anyone says.... It is costly but, I personally think it works..... In my 12 gal oil change in my CAT(s) - I use 3 gals of Lucas Oil Additive everytime.... Thats a 10K oil change every time in 15 yrs. in the big trucks.... Just my $.02.... It works....

I have in my trans and rearends, power steering, fuel additive, fifth wheel and slider lube, transfer cases, anti-gel too, etc..... On my guns.... In the engine and transaxle of my pulling tractor too.... I use it all.....

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting tip on the 2 cycle "fuel additive" - I'm going to have to pickup a gallon of that. Any idea what the ratio of fuel to oil is? Can you put in too much - it is a diesel after all...

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supertech (2ozs per gal) and howes in the winter and 100% bio diesel (2ozs) and howes
in the winter.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Schaeffers fuel treatment. Cost effective and it works. My local co-op fuel supplier gives it to me by the gallon for free. It is also what he adds at his pumps and since doing so has had ZERO fuel related problems since.

I figure since he would know better than anyone what works I went with his recommendation.

Lucas does absolutely nothing for lubricity, and quite frankly after researching it and having bad experiances with it, I wouldnt put it in anything...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am surprised no ne mentioned Howe's Diesel Treat. I use it in the big trucks...faithfully. I use it like the truck won't run without it.

As for my IDI, either Diesel kleen arctic formula in winter (white) or cetane boost for the summer (grey jug) or howes. Once in a while I will toss in the rest of the jug of 5W20 when I change Vicki's oil ( a couple liters left over or so) and a gallon of ATF to help de-carbon things, but usually it's mostly just power service or Howes.