Additional Fuel Filter

Max Power

Reaction score
I am bored and thinking of adding a second fuel filter. I have had zero problems to date with my OEM setup. I want to know what you guys think. Is it worth it and why or why not?

Max Power

Reaction score
Some people claim a fuel mileage increase with additional filtration. How is this possible?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Max, I know nothing about the GMC diesels being a loyal Ford guy. I can't see how adding a second fuel filter can help with your MPGs. Have you heard of Stanadyne performance formula? It's a diesel additive that improves the qualitiy of the fuel by adding cetane, improving lubricity, lowers the gel point and removes water from it too. My powerstroke operates much better with it and I feel that since my injectors are lubricated by both oil and fuel that it will help prolong the injectors service life. That's also why I have an oil bypass filter...to keep the crud out of my oil as it lubricates the injectors. As long as you change your fuel filter periodically, have good clean oil and good clean fuel...your poor mileage is probably due to a lead foot on the throttle pedal.

Whit

Reaction score
Max, If yer OEM filter is doing a good job than just keep on with what ya got. Another filter in the system will add DP that is unwanted and strain the system.As said earlier fuel additive is a huge bennifit for added lubricity,the centane improver in the additive will pay for the use of the product. Now additional oil filtration in my oppinion is a must with a diesel,My OEM filter is good down to 10 micron and I have a slip stream filter that takes it down to 2 micron BUT this doesnt do anything for soot in the oil, with all the extra fuel some of us are adding a toilet paper style filter would be of bennifit too.

Cheers, Kevin

Max Power

Reaction score
I am not overly concerned about getting better fuel mileage I am more concerned about how it is possible to get better fuel mileage with an additional filter. It seems like a bit of stretch to me.

I am aware of standyne but have never used it. I have been using john deere fuel conditioner for winter and haven't been running anything in summer although I think I might start. Thanks for the advice.

BRONCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a theory. It is the same reason the tornado or vornado will give you better fuel milage. These things cause resitance and cause your motor to lean out. Lean will yeild better fuel milage.

The other reason fuel milagegets better is becuse of the driver. I read an article in heavy duty trucker about gas saving devices. The trucks that got better gas milage were the trucks that the driver new something had been added. The trucks with the same addition but the driver did not know about did not get any better gas milage.

It turns out that you tend to drive a little smoother or better when you think the thing under your hood is suppose to be doing it.

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whitmore
You may want to look at Harvard by-pass filters for your oil, I understand they take all the heavys out of your oil and even the soot. Geo with ave lube stated that they keep the oil lookin like it came out of the can when it was time for a change, I checked and the kit is not that high but the filter is pricey. you will have to fab your own lines and bracket.
Geno

Whit

Reaction score
Geno, I did look at harvard filters and it appears they have one for my application, I didnt check pricing but am now doing more searching for other brands as well, I think I heard of one called Franz but aint looked into it yet.

Cheers, Kevin

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whit
Frantz is the but wipe type and a friend runs one and it does a pretty good but still shows some soot,
Geno

Whit

Reaction score
So Geno......looking to what else you may know, So how long does a Franz last compared to the Harvard?? I would only like to do this once and if Harvard is the nutz than I may do that...................I think I read on here where we have a member that is some kinda dealer on filtration??? Who the heck was it ?

Cheers, Kevin

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
There are many oil bypass filters on the market. Most claim to filter between 1 & 2 microns and the toilet paper bypass down to 1/10th micron where the spin on filters filter to 20-30 microns. They claim that it's the particles between 5-30 microns that do the damage to the injectors. The only true test for determining how clean ones oil is, is to have it checked for trace minerals. Your results will be compared to like vehicles with the same mileage. I use Blackstone Labs, but there are other companies who also sample. So far my results have been excellent (with my Oil Guard bypass filter & Stanadyne) as compared to other PSDs with similar mileage.

Last edited:

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whit
Harvard goes around 25k before change and friend changes the tissue when he changes oil. Looked back and the Harvard filter is like $50.00 and you know what tissue cost. Only filter person I know of hangs on the Diesel Page an I got my ass run off from there.
Geno

Geno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max
Go to FOR SALE on THE PLACE and there is a cat for sale cheap.
Geno

Whit

Reaction score
hheynow, I know we are comparing apples to oranges as you have 2 more spark plugs than I do :confused: but anyhow its the soot I am concerned with and toilet paper filters do a good job of riding soot, My OEM takes it down to 10 microns and I have a 10% slipstream filter from there taking it down to 2 microns, I would really like to add a soot filter between them but am seeking advice from someone that has been there and done that, can you add to that ?

Cheers, Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86