Adding X-springs w/Edge 3" Hanger Kit

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
I'm wanting to add X-springs to my 2000 F-350 4x4 PSD that already has an Edge 3" hanger kit (U-springs) installed. It sits perfectly level right now and I expect to get an additional 1 1/2" of lift from the X-springs. If that is correct and I can indeed do this combination, how should I lift the rear to re-level the truck? The truck came with 4" blocks in the rear and I've been told never to stack blocks. Can I get a taller block and is that a good idea? Also do I need to replace the track bar bracket, pitman arm, & sway bar links? How about the rear shocks, I'll prolly have to replace them also?

Wow!
1) X-springs
2) track bar bracket
3) pitman arm
4) sway bar links
5) rear shocks
6) blocks or springs for the rear

What else? Is it worth the $$$$ for an additional 1 1/2" of lift? Has anyone done this modification? Am I talking myself out of this? Help me out here! Someone tell me the advantages of doing this switch, please.:thanks:

Y2KPSD

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
I'm wondering why you'd want to do this if you already are sitting level?

Donahoe Racing makes a 5 inch block or you could just add some helper springs, might stiffen the ride up a bit.

When it's all said and done it will probably cost you the same it would as putting on a 6 inch lift.

Depending on how old your lift it, you should get new u bolts too, don't really want to re-use them.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the X-Springs about 5 years ago. In fact, I'm the originator of the "X-springs" concept!
One guy called it the "DukesSpringsteen" mod if I remember correctly! LOL.

I also have a Jack-it 2" lift on the front and rear. My truck sits just the way I like it.

Anyways, expect about 1" on a crewcab and 1.25" on a supercab and 1.5" on a regular cab for front lift.

I would install them first, then worry about the rear springs. With your lift springs already on front, you might not really need anything done to the back since it's not that dramatic of a change in lift.
I'd doubt you'll need to do anything to the front end components, either.

I did it waaaaay back when mainly to help bear the weight of a 9' plow and noticed that it also gave a slight lift to the front end.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Originally posted by Swany
I'm wondering why you'd want to do this if you already are sitting level? When it's all said and done it will probably cost you the same it would as putting on a 6 inch lift.
I originally installed add-a-leafs when I put my 8' Boss V-Plow on but the ride was unbelievably harsh. That raised the front about 1 1/2 ", not enough for 35" tires. With the plow (860#) and Warn semi-hidden winch (approx.200#) it's quite a load. I prolly should have installed a 4" lift right from the get-go but money was tight and the 3" hanger kit was half the price. Now I'm kicking myself in the behind.
Originally posted by Duke
I did the X-Springs about 5 years ago. In fact, I'm the originator of the "X-springs" concept!
One guy called it the "DukesSpringsteen" mod if I remember correctly!
expect about 1" on a crewcab and 1.25" on a supercab and 1.5" on a regular cab for front lift.
So the X-springs will give me a little extra lift (1 1/4", that's a good thing) and a little more support for the added weight I've got up front. I'll have to check to see how much the X-springs cost, along with everything else. It may indeed be cheaper to just install a whole new lift kit.

Thanks for the help. Something to sleep on.

Y2KPSD

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Originally posted by JamesF250
Is there any way to tell which springs are on a truck? I have an 02 F250.

Ford makes several different front spring sets for PSD 4x4s. The computer at the "factory" selects the correct spring pack for your truck based on the weight of the truck and all the factory options. Generally, here are the different front springs available for the computer to select:

Code T: rated at 4,400 pounds @ground - common on regular-cab PSDs.

Code U : rated at 4,800 pounds @ground - common on SuperCab PSDs.

Code V : rated at 5,200 pounds @ground - common on CrewCab PSDs.

Code W: rated at 5,600 pounds @ground - usually available only on F-450/F-550

Code X: rated at 6,000 pounds @ground - available from the factory on pickups with the snowplow prep pkg, and on F-450/F-550.

Your spring code is listed on the certification label on the lower doorpost behind the driver's door. It is a two-letter code under "SPR", and the first letter is the front springs.

I hope this helps answer you questions.

Y2KPSD

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check tonight.

Is the ride harsher with the X's as compred to the V's?

Also, did the camper package come with any sort of spring upgrade?

I bought the truck used, so I'm not sure what I have exactly.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check tonight.

Is the ride harsher with the X's as compared to the V's?

Also, did the camper package come with any sort of spring upgrade?

I bought the truck used, so I'm not sure what I have exactly.

I've been told the ride is "firmer" not harsher with the X-springs. The add-a-leafs made the ride much "harsher" but by removing them and installing the 3" Edge Hanger Kit that problem was solved.

As far as the "camper package" upgrade goes, I don't know what that includes. You would need to do a search or maybe someone will chime in and explain what that entails.

I think your Vehicle ID number can tell you just about everything you need to know but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Y2KPSD

JamesF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine are U's, even though I have a PSD CC 4x4 with dual alternators. How much heavier can you get that that? I would've thought I'd have at least the V's.

Does this mean that I could expect to see a significant "lift" if I installed the X's?

Thanks.
James

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Interesting. Mine are U's, even though I have a PSD CC 4x4 with dual alternators. How much heavier can you get that that? I would've thought I'd have at least the V's.

Does this mean that I could expect to see a significant "lift" if I installed the X's?

Thanks.
James
One guy called it the "DukesSpringsteen" mod if I remember correctly!
expect about 1" on a crewcab and 1.25" on a supercab and 1.5" on a regular cab for front lift.
Code X: rated at 6,000 pounds @ground - available from the factory on pickups with the snowplow prep pkg, and on F-450/F-550.

Y2KPSD

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ride on my truck with the X springs only was actually better than with my factory "W" springs.

The nose seemed higher, and in the turns, the nose dipped less.

I suggest X-springs to anyone who plows or wants a slight leveling accent to their front end without going to the expense of a lift kit. I think they're about $150/pair.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
The ride on my truck with the X springs only was actually better than with my factory "W" springs.
The nose seemed higher, and in the turns, the nose dipped less.
I suggest X-springs to anyone who plows or wants a slight leveling accent to their front end without going to the expense of a lift kit. I think they're about $150/pair.
Duke,
Did you add the X-springs to your 99' F-350? If so, would you happen to have a part number? Where did you buy the X-springs from, the stealership or somewhere else, like 1stFordParts.com perhaps?

Y2KPSD

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW, funny you ask......I did it so long ago I forgot the number. Yes, I put them on my F-350.

I don't want to bore you, but I got the idea one day when I had my f-450 & F-350 parked side by side at my shop. I looked at the front springs on both trucks and observed their differences. To the untrained eye, they look identical. But the X springs on my F-450 are just a little bit thicker where they sit on the perch block on top of the front axle. Then I looked at each door jamb sticker, yep, the 450 has "6,000" supsension rating and spring code "X" up front.

I thought they might make a nice upgrade to my 5,400lb springs on my F-350 for a plow. I called the stealer and was pleasantly surprised at the price. I think they were under $150 for the pair. Me and a buddy had 'em on in ~2-3 hours. All for under $150.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't have the part number handy, but here's all you need to do. Call Ford parts. Tell them you need the part # for an '00 F450 or F550 with a diesel engine and 4x4. That'll automatically put you into "X" springs. To be sure, ask the parts guy if they're code "X" or they're rated at 6,000#. might as well ask the price while you're at it., might not be as bad as you think.

I'll tell you that there's no doubt they ride better than any add-a-leaf kit, just remember, you'll get 1" to 1.5" tops out of it. Doesn't sound like much, but you'll see the difference.

smorgan

Reaction score
Me and a buddy had 'em on in ~2-3 hours.

Would have been Ole Dave would it??? Hey Duane... Good to see ya.. Now I know where youve been hiding... I see you finnaly got the biggerdump.. Its Sean, Lifted blue CC sb, form Daves place..

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smorgan,

No, it wasn't Dave, although he's helped me do just about everything else!!!! LOL

How've you been? Good to see you here. Hope you stick around. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7