Adding atf to diesel fuel

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
What is "dipping" and who does it and what leads them to do it?

It is a process where the department of transportation checks your tank for untaxed fuel. I believe the untaxed fuel is also high sulfur, but not sure if that changed since the release of ULSD. Depends on the state, but around here, getting caught with "red" fuel is quite expensive from what I have heard. I don't run enough to chance it, but have seen some additives that are red and wondered about them tripping the DOT meter...

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
redram...your from canada...so i'm not sure if the "red fuel" is an issue with you guys. here we have farm fuel..non taxed because its for farm and offroad equipment use and is only sold to businesses and farms where its a tax write-off anyway. they put a red dye in the fuel so the dept of trans can shove a stick down in your fuel tank to see if your running non taxed fuel on the highway...which is a big no no...the gov wants their tax money, all .75 per gallon or so. the fine is very hefty. but...we have farm tags in missouri for farm trucks...if you have red fuel in your farm truck on the highway its legal...but farm trucks are only allowed like 30 miles off the farm unless hauling farm equipment or getting farm supplies etc etc.

eezerz

Reaction score
off topic?mothballs?

i heard guys used to throw moth balls in their diesel tanks... this would cause horsepower increases, and you are able to shoot blue flame out the exaust...
i've heard moth balls are like ether... i don't know how many to use, but i've heard it from a lot of oldtimers in the trucking industry...

prolonged use is probably not good i would imagine.... you try running your truck on ether and see how high the heads blow off it...lol

sorry for getting off topic, back to the regular programming
cookoo

wilsondoctor

Doctor
Reaction score
Gee. Why not use a product that is engineered as a fuel additive - tested and provin in your engine. Why not try Alamagated. Been using this for 259,500 miles and still have all fuel equipment that came w/ my 1996.
Thanks
Jim

Reddually93

Reaction score
A guy i work with at ford runs used atf in his 90' 7.3 idi and has been doing it for 3 years with no problems other than it smokes a little bit and stinks.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amalgamated?

Amalgamated is a manufacturer/blender of diesel fuel additives...they will actually custom blend the additive for your requirements (lubrication, cleaners, antigels, etc) the only problem is that you can only buy bulk...I want to remember 5-gallons at a time, and while the cost isn't bad; shipping is cost prohibitive (hazardous?).

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy i work with at ford runs used atf in his 90' 7.3 idi and has been doing it for 3 years with no problems other than it smokes a little bit and stinks.

Probably not harmful in a mechanical injector, and the low-pressure system; but in a modern HPCR like the Cummins or the later PS, I wouldn't want to take the chance.