Acck! Help me avoid a bad mistake LOL

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've got the itch to get a newer pickup! Stop me, remind me why the IDI's kick butt.

Something is wrong with me I think, mine is really nice, and running WMO it saves me 7500 a year in fuel, but I still want a newer pickup. (must be the thin air in Colorado??)

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well newer trucks are nice! But depends on what you want it for an what your thinking you like. You will spend the 7500+ in insurance an payment not counting fuel. Depends on your wallet to. You have a 94 which that's a nice new truck. My 89 is nicer than my 93 but the 93 feels alot nicer idk why but just does an its all stock.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Jeff, you WANT to and SHOULD buy a newer truck. More power, nicer interior(although i have nothing wrong with the obs interior), more power, smoother ride, more power, good looking exterior(once again nothing wrong with the exterior either of the OBS trucks), more power.

Did i mention MORE POWER?!
SCRATCH that itch!:rotflmao

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know someone with a new 6.7 ford he pays around 800 somthing payment 700 full coverage and 1000+ in fuel a month 2500-3000 a month for just a dang truck. That doesn't sit well with me but maybe someone with loaded pockets.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Come on now ! Snap out of it... :backoff

:D

It's ok, we all go through it from time to time. Lots of things can set it off. It could be that good looking King Ranch edition truck with the heated leather seats, or the new dodge with half a million ft. lbs of torque. It aint' worth it, you pay too big a price.

There is good medicine for this affliction, though... Sometimes I like to go down to the dealership and stare at the window sticker on a new powerstroke or dodge. Get a good look at it. Let the numbers really soak in.

Of course this is only applicable for "brand new truck itch"

Newer used truck itch is somewhat different. That's tougher to treat... :sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my IDI's, LOVE THEM.......... but, with the wiring harness melting down on the crew cab, once again, ending the camping season in very short order for me and my family, not to mention the dewindling time I have to work on these old beasts, and the need for a reliable, comfortable (for the wife and daughter) haul rig.......... I've very seriously thought about adding a new truck to the fleet. But, cost is the main reason to leave that alone for now. Once I get the crew cab back to functional status and trouble free, I'll try and hold off the trip to the dealer as long as possible.

Heath

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say if you can afford it than buy a new truck but keep your old one so you have something to tow it to the dealer after a little senseless sensor goes out. Saw it happen to a guy just the other day....

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
At least twice a year I ALMOST talk myself into a newer truck, still drivin the ol' IDI though. Look into some repair costs on the newer truck, I do all my own labor but even parts, especially since the last diesel I would consider reliable from Ford were the 7.3s, and if you need injectors which are fairly common you're looking at $1000 plus $1000 core if you cant have your truck down while they ship. And thats for barely over stock size. A 6.0 WILL need head studs and EGR delete if legal in your state. 6.4, gotta delete the DPF unless you can live with 13mpg, once again is it legal where you are and thats another $1500 for tuning and delete parts. I wont even get into a 6.7 if you want more than stock power. Just a little to think about. End novel.

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0 with a nice tune... The power is insane. Blew me away. I miss that truck...but the idi is something special. I think the costs outweigh the power...I think.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I should clarify, I am not looking "brand new" I don't believe in auto loans and stroking a 60k single payment is enough to deter me. LOL

I keep eyeing a 7.3 PSD and even a "gulp" LLY Duramax. Even checked out a 6.0, but probably can pry myself away from one of them'ens.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
wait long enough you'll start eyeing a 6.0L. that is what is happening to me LOL. at first i would not even think about a 6.0L, it was all 2nd gen 7.3 PSD's, but around here you can spend a touch more and have a nice 6.0L which is a lot more truck than a 7.3L imo. i have been reading the 6.0l forums and they are not as bad as :rolleyes:"cough" idi guys "cough":rolleyes: make them seem.

wmoguy

Reaction score
wait long enough you'll start eyeing a 6.0L. that is what is happening to me LOL. at first i would not even think about a 6.0L, it was all 2nd gen 7.3 PSD's, but around here you can spend a touch more and have a nice 6.0L which is a lot more truck than a 7.3L imo. i have been reading the 6.0l forums and they are not as bad as :rolleyes:"cough" idi guys "cough":rolleyes: make them seem.

I'd get a 6.0 pretty quickly, however I don't hear of many dudes running WMO blends in them with good success. For me, the WMO thing is a must do, it saves me too much money.

Maybe I should get me a 7.3, take the 94 down, and rebuild her. Oh sooooo tempting to do it :) I still like the body style of my 94 hands down, best lookin body on teh road