Acceptable cylinder wall thickness

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a pattern of what cylinders and what location in those cylinders normally get the cavitation
I believe you’re correct. It would be interesting to know where others have encountered cavitation. I seem to remember reading about a particular cylinder/spot...

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second what theWespaul said if you have 2 you can feel I'd either sleeve them or wait till the could get a block if it comes down to a block let me know I have one and am itching to take a trip to Alaska
Yep. I need more specific information from my machinist, but at least 2 will need sleeves.
And make the trip! It’s a beautiful drive. Especially BC and the Yukon. I’ve always been coming from the east coast, so I haven’t had opportunity to drive the Cassiar (sp?) Hwy, through Bamf, but hear it’s amazing. BEWARE the frost heaves after Whitehorse! Sometimes they’re fun, sometimes they break things.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if cavitation can be arrested once the proper coolant is installed? My truck has obviously a very poor maintenance history in its alleged 186k miles. I've put a couple thousand on it and one of the first things I did was install coolant with additive. It had a drip from both head/block areas... I had a shop put new head gaskets on but they also discovered significant head cracks and I bought a rebuilt set. $$$:shocked: Most likely the previous owner just dumped in green coolant now and then. ;Pissed

Anyway, it runs fine now, there is no coolant mixing with the oil, and it's not using any now that I fixed many leaks. I have to assume that there is some cavitation, but if so, will it stop progressing now that there's SCA in the antifreeze? :dunno

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I need more specific information from my machinist, but at least 2 will need sleeves.
And make the trip! It’s a beautiful drive. Especially BC and the Yukon. I’ve always been coming from the east coast, so I haven’t had opportunity to drive the Cassiar (sp?) Hwy, through Bamf, but hear it’s amazing. BEWARE the frost heaves after Whitehorse! Sometimes they’re fun, sometimes they break things.

Of all the states I've been to iv never been up to Alaska and its on my bucket list

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sca done right will stop the progression of cavitation, but it won’t reverse it. I haven’t seen cavitation in the same area twice, just seems to be determined by the casting. Others may have had different experiences

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sca done right will stop the progression of cavitation, but it won’t reverse it. I haven’t seen cavitation in the same area twice, just seems to be determined by the casting. Others may have had different experiences
Thanks Wes.
You’re telling me all the things I don’t want to hear: thickness can be fine, but pinholes may be present; no strong patterns to predict where they might be...
That’s NOT what I want to hear.
But I want to hear it.

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of all the states I've been to iv never been up to Alaska and its on my bucket list
Unless you’re allergic to nature and beauty it’s a great place to visit. Late May and June are usually best for summer, March for winter. It’s a land of extremes.
You must be registered for see images attach
Here are some occasional backyard guests
Hike, rest, bomb it!

**** frost on the back deck.
Eklutna lake
On the drive up in my new(to me) Heavy Rescue this summer

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fision I'm anything but allergic to nature and beauty pretty sure my only allergy is a$$holes but I live in South West Montana it's beautiful but I can't get over the solitude and how remote everything is in Alaska I could go off grid and be happy but the wife would probably kill me in my sleep if I did that and I like the yard guests this year I watched my goat roam around the yard with a small bachelor herd of elk and the heavy rescue is a sweet rig

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely! Montana is hardly anything to sneeze at! As yet I know it only from pics, but look forward to seeing it in person. Bottom line: this planet is beautiful!! Every place I’ve lived or visited has something that lifts me up; But in different ways. Only as a child have I been bored. There’s so much I don’t know and haven’t experienced...

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and the heavy rescue is a sweet rig
And..: Yup! I sure think so. 1995 IH chassis, 250hp P-pump DT466, ~40k miles after the Ohio->Alaska trip. I still can hardly believe I won the auction for it. My hat is off to The Wooster Ohio Fire dept for their excellent care of their equipment.
It was fun to drive up, though I would’ve been much happier if I could’ve gotten the 6th gear enabled in the Allison MD3060; still working on that...

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And..: Yup! I sure think so. 1995 IH chassis, 250hp P-pump DT466, ~40k miles after the Ohio->Alaska trip. I still can hardly believe I won the auction for it. My hat is off to The Wooster Ohio Fire dept for their excellent care of their equipment.
It was fun to drive up, though I would’ve been much happier if I could’ve gotten the 6th gear enabled in the Allison MD3060; still working on that...

Every peice of rescue or fire equipment I have ever delt with has been in great shape a few months ago I got a e350 dually ambulance from my old boss for a good deal but have yet to go get it but it's a 94 with a idi and an ats but it only has 55k on it and is in great shape I'm hopeing to use it for a hunting rig Due to how easy it will be to sleep and stay warm in the back also it has a 10k inverter and a separate heater and a coilover 4x4 conversion on the front

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple more pics from the trip up from Ohio. First one is just into Canada, 6/14/18, and shows a storm that came with a tornado warning and PELTED MY TRUCK WITH GOLFBALL+ SIZE HAIL:mad:!! Nothing critical was damaged on my IH, but many other vehicles in the area weren’t as fortunate. Google Estevan Canada hail storm for some crazy pics.
Second pic is in Alaska

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every peice of rescue or fire equipment I have ever delt with has been in great shape a few months ago I got a e350 dually ambulance from my old boss for a good deal but have yet to go get it but it's a 94 with a idi and an ats but it only has 55k on it and is in great shape I'm hopeing to use it for a hunting rig Due to how easy it will be to sleep and stay warm in the back also it has a 10k inverter and a separate heater and a coilover 4x4 conversion on the front
That sounds like a sweet rig! I stumbled across mine while shopping for an ambulance. Ambulances are built so well! Aluminum bodies, gobs of electrical options... remind me of the line in “Jurassic Park”— “We spared no expense”. Perfect for a camper conversion.
Am I hijacking my own thread:drunk:???
I won’t tell if you won’t...

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon

Not wall thickness, but Me & a friend dropped out of college summer of '70 & went on combine harvest from Tx toward north. I got PO'ed at boss in Kansas & quit, gonn'a hitch-hike back to Tx. by myself. Changed my mind decided to head north. Never nearly been out'a Montague Co, Tx till that summer. All I had was my cowboy hat, boots, big belt buckle, unlined bluejean jacket, duffle bag, 2 more changes clothes, & 2 old style wool army blankets. "Drycamped" out every nite all summer.

To shorten story went up thru YellowStone, Mt, back thru Id, thru Glacier. Looking at my map I said to myself "there's Canada, lets go!"

Thumbed round Alberta, BC, thru Banif, Kamloops, etc, etc, back out to Prince Rupert on coast. (beautiful, beautiful) Back down to Williams Lake, BC heading south to Tx....heck one more day heading back north as far as I can won't hurt. 3rd ride that morn guy was headed to Ak, stationed there. I thought myself....hummm. So I asked, "need company?"

Yup, up thru there, Yukon, etc. 1400 mi gravel & potholes, (beautiful, beautiful) (& some/lots of beautiful northern lites that summer) & yes, BIG frost heaves from Ak line paved on into Fairbanks. Thumbed down round S Ak, thru McKinley, etc back to Fairbanks. Got drunk that nite & made a deal with 2 guys that was heading up N Slope area next day. (early oilfield stuff) Went up & back with them. EVERYTHING was different & beautiful!!

Back into Fairbanks, time to head to Tx BIGTIME to get back into school. I thumbed hard that 1st day & made it 16mi to 1st fuel stop/store. I'm sunk!! Finally a family stopped in pulling a single ax trailer, pick-up w/ a camper shell headed back to Beeville, Tx. They agreed to haul me across Canada to US border. Wound up hauling me to Lubbock, Tx.

Got back to school nearly 2 wks late & had to beg EVERY Dean of everything to get back into school. Was on Scholastic Probation already (1.66 GPA) too much prior "wine, women & songs." They let me in conditionally: prove up or get out for a yr! Signed up for 24 hours/credits with condition I'd drop some back down to about 14-15 after I could tell which ones I could stay in for sure. I didn't drop any & got all A's & 1B that semester.

Been back to AK 4 times driving a semi during the mid/late '70s. 2 times in winter & 2 in summer. Back then winter time semi trip is nearly easier if 'ya don't slide off road, potholes full of ice snow etc. Was hard to make any money on a summer time trip cause when you figure in paint job, busted windshields, new set tires on truck & trailer from miles of gravel & potholes.

But I saw a lot that summer, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
And I think all us OilBurners should load up & go!!! Everyone with an OilBurners sticker too!! LOL LOL LOL

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
And this IS a cavitation/wall thickness question.
Does anybody know if chemically Nalcool is the same as the Fleetguard International/Navistar DCA4 stuff? I been using WallyWorld green antifreeze & the Navistar additive in jugs as well as DCA4 spin on bypass H2O filter in my trucks & tractor. Antifreeze & distilled water 50/50 & the DCA4

I always have trouble reading correctly the FleetGuard test chart colors after dipping & comparing on molybdate & nitrates. I know you can have too much as well as too little DCA/SCA stuff.

Reason I ask about Nalcool is this '94 U-Haul I recently bought has sticker on to "always add Nalcool". I haven't got round to testing DCA's in it yet but green antifreeze is about -34 (50/50)

Also back in the late 70's I hauled Nalcool out of Ill plant in barrels & bottles in cases. I was running Cats with spendy Cat additive & Cummings with cheaper Nalcool. While there once I asked them what the difference was. They showed me a warehouse full of cases of empty Cat bottles & jugs shipped in by Cat for Nalcool to fill & ship back to Cat.... Nalcool & Cat stuff was the same back then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online

No members online now.