AC Help

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there done that.
Advance offers a lifetime warranty then changes their part number on said part. So when, not if you need a replacement, they give you a 1 time replacement since they no longer carry "that" part.

Just got an A/C kit (compressor, drier, orifice valve) from Rock Auto for $139. Four seasons brand so middling quality but my "lifetime warranty" (Advance Auto) compressor lasted a year if that. Blown compressor seal.

Key to any reliable R12 to 134 change is flushing everything you don't change very thoroughly. The old oil will mess up the new system in no time.

Most parts I have taken back to Advance have been that way. It's a lifetime "replacement" not lifetime "replacements".

As long as you use Ester oil in your conversion it will work fine without a thorough flush. If you want to use Pag oil, yes you will need to flush it very good to get the old r12 oil out.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your system was originally R12 your pressure switch is set too high for 134A. If you pull the plug off the switch there is an adjustment screw on the switch that will allow you to adjust it to 134A pressure.

This is somewhat true, the compressor and cooling will still work with the original switch setting, but it will cycle often. So it will cool and then it will stop, and then it will cool, and then it will stop again. I had to give my switch a small tweak clockwise to get it to stop doing this. I don't think the switch being a little off will cause the clutch to be totally dead though.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New compresssor is scheduled to be here today, just in time for the hot weather to "somewhat" ease-up...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin