AC Evaporator? What's the difference between pre-94 & 94-up?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to put a new A/C Evaporator in my 89 f-350 when i put the dash back together. Mine is 20ish years old and full of funk. My question is could I use one out of a 94-up" They look really similar? I wondered if the 94 up evaporator would work better with R134 refrigerant? I would like to use the original 89 style a/c lines so i can continue to use my v-belt compressor. Main goal with using the newer one would be better cooling.

94 style
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-...omotive&Make=Ford|54&Year=1994|1994&carId=005

89 style
http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...omotive&Make=Ford|54&Year=1989|1989&carId=002

Thanks,
Jeremy

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without having actually tried it, my guess is that the primary difference is that the '94 version is optimized for use with R-134a, although I should note that the fittings look slightly different. As someone who converted to R-134a and wants to turn his cab into a meat locker, I will be very interested in seeing what comes of this ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I used a 85 one in my truck, with a Variable orifice valve, I had duct temps around 33-34* in 100* heat (high fan setting duct temps were closer to 40*). I dont know if you would really gain anything with the newer style?

farmtech ford

farmtech ford
Reaction score
R12 cools way better than 134a. if you can try to find someone with R12 to recharge your system. the evaporator really wont have a major effect

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Semi-on topic. Does anyone know what condenser will fit with the wide rads? I know there was a model designed to fit for adding ac at the dealers...:dunno

R12 cools way better than 134a. if you can try to find someone with R12 to recharge your system. the evaporator really wont have a major effect

Or propane. That does real great but the gubermint doesn't like it. Alot of silly people say its because of the flamability but 30 gallons of gasoline/diesel is a lil worse :dunno

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Without having actually tried it, my guess is that the primary difference is that the '94 version is optimized for use with R-134a, although I should note that the fittings look slightly different. As someone who converted to R-134a and wants to turn his cab into a meat locker, I will be very interested in seeing what comes of this ;Sweet

NO! Its not OPTIMIZED for R134A. Its the same DAMN SIZE. I'll tell you what the difference is, the threads on the evap and drier are METRIC. My truck is a 94 with factory a/c and i put a V belt compressor in because it was already on the motor. I had to swap the condenser and evap out of my parts truck into mine to get it to seal up. I put a new visteon evap and used the condenser out of my parts truck and use Envirosafe industrial 12A. Its BITTER cold.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot if there's not advantage to using the newer evaporator I'll just go with a standard one for an 89. Rock auto has Motorcraft evaporators for 125 bucks. So that's what I'll get. It's only 25 more than the four seasons. Thanks for the input guys.

I had 134 in the truck before I tore it apart. It worked fine, but I'm always looking for better A/C. That's why I'm putting about $600 bucks of spray insulation and sound control in my cab before it gets put back together.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Google envirosafe industrial 12A. Couple that with my electric fans which move alot of air at idle and i have frigid air in the hot florida sun.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Really decently priced also. I'll have to check into that. I'm all about good air. Thanks for the heads up on the EnviroSafe!;Sweet

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
if you're close to me, i have a 30lb at home if you wanna try. I bought a big jug for my old mercedes and my truck. and only used it to fill the truck

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
If you need R-12 freon, most small - medium aircraft maintenance shops still have it, for servicing aircraft. They have log each time they give/receive R-12, so a few may not want to service a truck. Never hurts to ask.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good tip on the R-12 for aircraft use.

Crazy - thanks for the offer on the fill. I live up on Iowa so that's probably a no-go. For the money i might just pickup a 30lb myself. Seems like there's always some a/c that needs charged with all the vehicles we have around.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A word of advice...

DO NOT get the ES-12 with the dye!!!

And buy direct from HERE, not this guy, HERE. You will save lots of money, especially on the shipping charges. He charges the 'hazard shipping charge' to EACH can you buy whereas the first one only charges for each BOX... Stinking rip off... And one other thing, Kurt 'switch and baited' me, I did not order the ES with dye, but that's what I got! -cuss

When I filled mine, I used the ES-12 with dye and each can has 4 oz. of ES-12 and 2 oz. of dye.

So I filled mine to capacity, but I get only a 25 degree drop at high fan speed. -cuss

What happened? Well, using the conversion formula to determine how much ES-12 I needed for the equivalent of 44 oz of R-12, I found that I needed 416.62 GRAMS of the ES-12 to fill my system. Since I didn't take into account the cans having 4 oz of ES and 2 oz of dye, I ended up installing only 276.62 GRAMS of ES and 140 GRAMS of dye. That's 5 oz of dye! cookoo

So I am using only 2/3rds of the ES that I need and I can't fill it any further, it's at full capacity...

I need to flush out my system and then refill using just ES-12 INDUSTRIAL with 5 oz of oil in the compressor and the other 5 oz in the new accumulator. Only then will I be able to enjoy insane cooling, as itsacrazyasian does!

By the way, if you use PAG oil, use the green o-rings and don't lube the rings with the PAG, it will slowly disintegrate the rings...

Happy motoring during the summer! It will be HOT this summer...

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good tip on the R-12 for aircraft use.

Crazy - thanks for the offer on the fill. I live up on Iowa so that's probably a no-go. For the money i might just pickup a 30lb myself. Seems like there's always some a/c that needs charged with all the vehicles we have around.
A word of caution here, these bottles (30 and 50 lb containers) only are filled with 10 lbs and 16.66 lbs respectively...

They are filled with the amount to equal the equivalence of the R-12. In other words, the 30 lb bottle is filled to what the equal of 30 lbs of R-12 would be in the ES refrigerant, which is 10 lbs.

That should give you an idea of how effective the ES is, which should equate to lower head pressures (longer lasting compressors), which should manifest in better mileage when compared with R-12 or R-134a...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin