A turn for the good :)

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i jacked up the truck, got all 4 wheels in the air, blocked off one tire on both the front and the rear (open diff so itd randomly switch between rotating tires when i first tried this), marked where the tire was in conjunction with the body, and marked the driveline and diff (again both front and rear), locked the hubs, kicked the tranny in neutral, and counted 3.5 rotations of the driveline to 2 even tire rotations on both the front and the rear, so it looks like i have matching axle gears and its leaning more towards broken t-case chain instead, what gears this means i have, idk, i just went with the rotations i did for the sake of somewhat even numbers, kinda relieved i dont have to swap either front or rear end or get new gears :D

any input?

85f250dually

Reaction score
did u turn the drive shafts by hand or what? if the front still turns when you put it in 4wd then its not the chain. if you can leave it in 4wd and turn just 1 driveshaft them id say the chain is shot but if they both turn together id look at something different

1994IDI

Reaction score
3.5 rotations of the driveshaft to 1 tire rotation would put you at the 3.55 gear ratio I would have thought. But if you rotated twice and got that many rotations of the driveshaft, I'm not sure. I may be mistaken of how to calculate the gear ratio.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i rotated the shaft by hand, and had my friend count the tire rotations. i had the hubs locked and the transmission in neutral, transfer case was still only in 2H, both drivelines rotated independantly, i.e. i could rotate the rear driveline without the front driveline rotating, and vice versa.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.5 shaft rotations to 2 rotations of one wheel with the other on the same axle completely stopped puts you at3.55 gears. The reason why you see two rotations at the wheel is cause the open diff doubles its rotating speed if the other wheel is stationary. If you had a locker or LSD you'd see one full rotation of the wheel cause both axle shafts would be turning and the differential's doubling effect won't be seen.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The string trick is a lot quicker and easier than doing all that jacking. :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online