A REpower swap?

mort

Reaction score
good evening all, i had a few questions about a swap im considering. i have an 84 f350 quad cab 4x4 with a 460 and a c6. I just picked up a 92 f350 4x4 with a 7.3 and a zf 5spd. the 7.3 has an ats 088 turbo kit on it. Im pondering the idea of dropping the diesel and tranny in my 84. i know i got to swap the core support, and pedal assembly for the clutch, and fuel tanks, my questions..... do the fuel senders from the 92 work with the 84 gauge (ohms wise) would my factory tach from the 460 work with the diesel? and anything else yoou guyd might have in ideas or problems???....:dunno thanks! justin

DragRag

Reaction score
You will need the whole dash out of the newer truck, the harness etc is different. The 460 tach will not work, but the diesel dash takes care of that issue. I think you will want the senders out of the newer truck to swap into the older one so they work right with the dash wiring. I would consider using the newer truck harness from the cab to tail lights while your at it. It would work out better I think.

mort

Reaction score
so you swap the whole dash out of the 92? it will fit in my 84?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
not neccessarily the whole dash, but all the guts inside will need swapped

and you'll need to put in a gauge set for a 92, aftermarket or stock, not to mention you'll need all the computer crap from the 92, which may get error codes from accessories not being there in the 84......

it's doable, I've seen more oddball things done, but basically strip everything with a cable or wire out of the 92 and make it fit into the 84, otherwise you'll miss that one little sensor that will keep the motor from running

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he gets rid of the auto there won't be a computer or odd ball sensors.

DragRag

Reaction score
I doubt the 92' cluster will fit in the 84' dash. It's going to look Frankenstein without changing the whole dash from one to the other.

mort

Reaction score
I have the entire running 92 truck, but its a STD cab and all beat up. I was thinking the cabs were close to the same? Didn't know if I could do n entire dash swap or not. I don't know a lot about the 92 but being a five speed I don't think either truck has any computers on them that I know of? Would the entire dash fit? I don't want a rinky looking setup with a piece here or there

DragRag

Reaction score
Swap the 5 speed in the older truck from the 92' a huge plus. You are right, no computer on either in your situation. The dash will work without a bunch of work, it will fit, and you do want to use it, it is the way to get it done right without doing a custom dash set up with after market stuff. Now go get it done, and post some pics, can't wait to see it.

mort

Reaction score
I need to find a red 92 dash first! The black and gray wouldn't match in the 84. I was figuring I would swap the fuel tanks too. The 460 has pumps in the tanks. Will the fuel selector valve care between gas or diesel fuel?

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the fuel selector valve, but as far as the dash, its a straight swap....your only issue will be the vent windows, and for that if you still want to use them you can swap your 92 doors. The 87+ vent windows are cut slightly different than the 86 and older to clear the dash...i have never tried to swap the windows/insulation/seals/etc themselves, but the doors are interchangeable, and the outer skins are near identical (and you get to keep the better door panels).

mort

Reaction score
How bad is the wiring to swap? Do ya got to change all the harnesses out to match? I'd love to keep the newer style gauges!

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly, if it were me doing the swap I would start by pulling the driveline, dash and seats from the 460 truck (seats just give you more room to work inside)...then with both trucks side by side start with the dash and interior electric, then do the tranny, and finally the motor....again this is how i would approach it.

the electrical systems on these things are pretty simple, and going this route will give you an oppertunity to make sure that all of the harnesses and connectors are still in usable condition, it will also give you a great oppertunity to install relays in some of the places ford forgot them, and do any custom work you want to do...its a project, but its not a bad one

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
not neccessarily the whole dash, but all the guts inside will need swapped

and you'll need to put in a gauge set for a 92, aftermarket or stock, not to mention you'll need all the computer crap from the 92, which may get error codes from accessories not being there in the 84......

it's doable, I've seen more oddball things done, but basically strip everything with a cable or wire out of the 92 and make it fit into the 84, otherwise you'll miss that one little sensor that will keep the motor from running

The '84 with the C6 doesn't use a computer and the '92 with 5 speed doesn't either. Only one with an E4OD has one and that's only to make the trans work.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
actually guys , ive done this swap but with a 95 power stroke into a 89 cc, its a big pain in the ..., i hope you have a plasma cutter and welder cause the pedals and steering column and drivers side of the dash wont just bolt in to the older cab you have to cut out the fire wall around the steering column and pedals and weld it into the older cab and make a mount for the driver side kick panel area to hold the dash and E-brake assembly i did it and it looks good but all the dash gaps look like crap , i wish i would have took pics, but it is doable, but it is easier to get the cab wiring harness and the engine compartment harness and gauge cluster out of a 6.9 truck and rewire the glow plug harness and your ready to go!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.