A Pillar gauges

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I know there are already threads about this but i couldnt find any info on how high the gauges should read. I plan on goin with glow shift gauges. They have a kit i want. Im goin with boost, trans temp, and EGT. How high should these gauges read?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Glow-Shift but I had a set of Auto Meters and they looked very close to stock in the day time and the green LEDs made them look great at night. Many folks asked me if they were factory.

EGT should read up to 1500* but you never want to go above 1200* for more than a few seconds.

Boost depends on what power levels you're looking for. As a general rule, you need 1 psi of boost for every 10 rwhp so if you're not going up past 350 rwhp then a 35 psi gauge should be fine. However if oyu plan on doing major mods to the engine and drive train and want huge HP, go ahead and get the 60 psi gauge as it's cheaper to do it once and be done with it.

Trans Temp should be a standard gauge. I think max should be about 250* but I've only had a Duramax with the auto and the rest of my diesels have been bolt actions and trans temp wasn't an issue with me.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
is your powerstroke turbo stock or do you have it tweeked or a different turbo installed?

Typically a 30psi boost gauge for a stocker is just fine but if you are looking at doing upgrades in the future then I would go with one that is higher say like 50psi...

EGT - one that reads up to 1500 is more than enough as the safe max is 1200 but if you are like me you will skip past that magical mark when running hard but the key is not to hang out at the higher temps. On my cummins it peaked out at 1500 but I could and would still bury it but again I didn't hang out there so there wasn't really a need for one that read higher.

Trans temp anything over 320 degrees is overkill - if the fluid in the tranny is actually at 320+ degrees about all that's gonna tell ya is to get the check book out and write it out for a huge amount for a new trans... Typical running you should not exceed 225 in the hot line coming out of the trans for any great length of time. I would see in the Enterprise were I would get over 300 degrees while backing the trailer into her spot next to the garage. I would stop and let her idle in park until she cooled down below 190 then finish the backing - then I would let her sit and idle until it was again back down again on the temps.

Now if you are taking the temp reading for the trans in the pan then drop your reading to 200 as max temp....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
just got off the phone with a buddy down in the Florida a little bit ago and he ordered a set of the glow shift gauges for his truck - he doesn't have them in hand yet as he just ordered them and is awaiting on the brown truck. I'm sure I'll get a report from him on the gauges but until then....

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well ive seen other guys that bought the glow shifts and they like them. Now everyone has their own opinion and some people like one thing better than another. But so far glow shift looks good to me and the price is good too. I assume my truck is all stock. I dont know what to look for to tell if its stock or not. From my knowledge its stock. Yea i plan on doing some upgrades in power for sure. Nothing crazy but just the normal stuff. I will probably get a 60psi gauge for the boost. Id probably get a diff turbo impeller or somethin or whatever you guys think.