A little more torque please.

keith w

Reaction score
Hi everyone.I'm new here and was perked by an IATN member to come over to the oilburners.net and let the boys know what I'm about to do.My 1991 v3500 chev 4x4 dually (ex coast guard truck) is about to receive a DT466 with a RTO 14613.The reason for this is because the 6.2 is just not enough to pull my 30 foot Prowler even with 4.56 gears screaming at 3000 rpm it will loose out on the average incline.And also can't see spending 20,000 for a duramax or a cummins when I already have what I need just a little short on the grunt.So the 6.2,4l80e and the cast iron transfer case will come out around mid September to make way for the bigger stuff.Yes I know loosing the 4x4 will be tough but I have to make sacrifices some where.The donor is a 1985 s1900 international wich has all the odds and ends to do the swap and end up with some stuff to sell and scrap to take to the recyclers.Also a couple of air bags in the front should help with the extra weight being put on the dana 60.If anyone out there has any suggestions positive or negative I would like to hear them.Thanks for your time,Keith W.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Why are you loosing 4x4, just put a divorced transfer case in.

built4tq1

Reaction score
I think he may be losing 4wd for clearence issues with the dt engine. Those ifs front ends are space hungry units. Have you thought of solid axle coversions with a divorced setup? My cousin has a 96 chev 3500. he ditched the ifs for a dana 60 ford out of an obs truck when his cummins conversion was tackled. Either way that truck with a DT will haul some seroius mail! Good luck!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site.;Sweet
An IATN referral....wow, now that's quite an honnor:hail
you might want to drop in the "diesel conversion" section for a look-see and also PM the members "nevrenufhp" and "hesutton" and introduce yourself.
both guys either active use a DT466 for work or has a project in the works. You've found good company here.;Sweet
guys-
the V-series GM is a holdover from the older body style. C&K went to the new body and chassis in 1988, but the R&V series did not make the transition until 1993 iirc. His truck being a 1991 would undoubtedly still have the Dana 60 front.

keith w

Reaction score
Hey Towcat.Thanks for being on the ball with the v series (73-87)but may I correct you-the 91 is the last year for the old style crew and not 93 .AND Yes it does have the dana 60.Its a real pain when I call for parts and nobody seams to reallize what I'm talking about unless I get an older parts guy.Have a great day-will talk soon.K.W.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
ive heard of a 6.5 turbo on a 6.2. idk how it performs but gotta be better than nothing