A little more power cheap or easy?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you are noticing some difference with the exhaust repair. Are you planning on relocating the pyro to see if you can turn up the fuel some more? Probably has already been mentioned, but wrapping the turbo piping also aids in performance. You should get decent towing performance and better mileage out of the IDI than the 460. The biggest mileage increase you will se is slowing down to 60-65. This is especially true with the c6.

Though without more involved work the IDI will be a little lower on power compared to your 460.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much power difference does a turbo add to the idi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock turbo setup provided 5 more HP and 50 more ftlbs of torque. It moved the peaks lower in the rpm band (3000rpms vs 3300 rpms for HP and 1400rpms vs 1800rpms for torque). The thought is that the factory turbo was mainly to reduce performance loss at higher altitudes and did not have the best exhaust set up.

Stock N/A is listed as 185/338. Stock turbo numbers are listed as 190/388.

Some Banks experts can provide a little better explanation on it's design, but I would assume it would be an upgrade over the stock setup. I believe they addressed the pour stock turbo piping issue and suggested a larger/free flowing exhaust.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I am not sure how far you can push the stock turbo until the efficiency is gone, but just addressing the piping issues should give an improvement. If you have a pyro you can also look at increasing the fuel.

If you do a search there should be a lot of info avaloable on the subject.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have a pyro with the fuel screw maxed out but my gauge kinda died but right now there isn't really any more power after half throttle just more smoke

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you done anything with the stock exhaust and turbo piping? If not then that would be where to look next.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, you maxed out your fuel without a turbo? If so you need to do a little research prior to messing with it more. Turning up the pump on a n/a engine doesn't do much, wastes fuel and can damage your piston.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planing on head studs and a cam with comp910 valve springs and probably a 100cc moose pump and stroked out injectors from r&ds and prob a universal intercooler

Black dawg

Reaction score
The stock turbo setup provided 5 more HP and 50 more ftlbs of torque. It moved the peaks lower in the rpm band (3000rpms vs 3300 rpms for HP and 1400rpms vs 1800rpms for torque). The thought is that the factory turbo was mainly to reduce performance loss at higher altitudes and did not have the best exhaust set up.

Stock N/A is listed as 185/338. Stock turbo numbers are listed as 190/388.

Some Banks experts can provide a little better explanation on it's design, but I would assume it would be an upgrade over the stock setup. I believe they addressed the pour stock turbo piping issue and suggested a larger/free flowing exhaust.
the factory setup was only adjusted to 5 horse more, but these engines are not about hp. Towing, the factory turbo and na trucks are miles apart. With the bigger downpipe, the factory kit will do anything the others will do (and spool faster doing it).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online