A hypothetical power steering Q

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A hypothetical question. . .

So, if a guy was was, i dunno, backing around his GF's car and maybe he wasn't paying quite enough attention, and lets say, for giggles of course, this driveway was elevated by rail ties and the front passenger tire were to ,hypothetically, run over the tie and fall off the driveway would this mess up that trucks power steering? If i did, in this purely hypothetical word problem, screw up the power steering, would driving without power steering affect any other components of the completely imagined person's truck. (other than the driver's forearms)

The truck is ummm just like the one in my signature. . .

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What is the truck doing? Is it leaking fluid? Is it hard to steer? Making any weird noises? Chances are you hypothetically pinched the power steering cooler/lines off and are preventing fluid from circulating. You should go check the fluid level, check for leaks, drink a couple cold beer and post back within the hour.....hypothetically lol. I hope that's all that is wrong with your truck driver!

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically. . . .

it's groaning a lot and the power steering is currently on and off. It seems to be getting worse. I don't see any leaks anywhere but i will make double sure. For a while it was just groaning then the steering at low rpms got a little harder, then harder at low speeds and rpms. it still works it's just tricky.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
hmmm....does it still track straight when you are going down the road? None of the linkages are bent or twisted? The steering in these trucks are pretty stout from the factory, it shouldn't have hurt too much..

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drives just like it always has. as long as i am not whipping around cones or anything.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
My first guess from the damage description would be some linkage is binding from being bent but the other symptoms seem to agree with a line being pinched. Sounds like you hypothetically got of easy.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Power steering should be flushed every couple years and Lucas makes some PS conditioner that quiets those noisy pumps a lot.
Doesnt move those pesky retaining walls tho.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right when I started my truck up for the first time after the rebuild I didnt have any of the brackets on there like the ps, vacuum, or the ac, and everything went ok. It was just a PITA to stop and turn. I did it for a week or so and that was enough.

needboost2live

Reaction score
i have the same kinda problems. Some times my PS is good and sometime it just doesn't seem to work. I get groaning at idle but once I give it gas the groan goes away and the steering gets easier. Whats the best way to drain powersteering and refil with new?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
i have the same kinda problems. Some times my PS is good and sometime it just doesn't seem to work. I get groaning at idle but once I give it gas the groan goes away and the steering gets easier. Whats the best way to drain powersteering and refil with new?

jack the front
undo lines to drain pan/bucket
cycle steering back and forth
reconnect and refill
run engine and cycle
top off
drive
top off again

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you pinched a line, you are going to burn up your pump and possibly your gearbox, do not drive on the thing like that. Cut the bad section out and replace it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the power steering cooler line. It is the metal tube snaking around on the front of the crossmember the engine sits on. Theoretically, you could drop your axle on a railroad tie with no damage. The question we all have in our mind is the departure angle and where the tie rods were at the time.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i think i pinched a line a bit. i do see a dent. may have cause a small leak. I put new steering fluid in and it works great for a couple weeks, then slowly the growning comes back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online