A howling sound seems to come from transmission.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
My E-350 is doing again that howling noise after 45MPH on third. Hot or cold it doesn't matter, it does it every time I have to stop and go. The sound sometimes lowers the pitch and disappears after 15 or 20 minutes driving on the highway, other times stays for the whole hour trip to town. Could it be the torque converter? It shifts fine, a little long but I like it that way when I'm towing heavy loads in my trailer.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Burt.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a rear in the Excursion that is doing that. The noise goes away during a left hand turn, so my guess is the carrier bearings are going out in it, allowing a bit of slop in the gear mesh. Not sure about your issue though. Just food for thought.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bearing, they are sneaky sometimes. But I'm just going off your description

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I would think if it were the TC it would do it whenever you were spinning the engine in that rpm range. Rather than only in third.

How is your fluid level, when was the last time you flushed it?
You should also try re-torquing your intermediate band. (tighten to exactly 10ft/lbs then back off exactly 1,1/2 turns)
Also check your cooler lines, make sure they're unrestricted.

and are you sure it's the transmission and not your rear end, or a haunted tire?

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I had to replace all the transmission fluid a year ago after I bumped into a deer and when I went over it the antlers caught one of the transmission lines to the radiator and I lost all he fluid by the time I arrived home. I put 8 quarts and a couple of Lucas bottles. Right now it seems at the right level. The lines are OK too. I'm going to check that intermediate band. I agree that it's most probably a bearing but which one. Thanks a lot.
Burt.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i get a "howling" sound from my trans area. not really dependent on spee. only does it when i let off the throttle and coast. if i get back on the throttle ever so slightly the howl goes away. off throttle howl comes back.