a few questions about the ford sterling 10.25

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a few questions about the for 10.25 axle.

First, on my 1986 f350 dually. i changed the hub seal today and was reading the haynes manual and is said pack the bearing with grease. now i know its a full floating axle and the the gear oil lubes the bearing so is that statement completely wrong or is it just to give it initial lubrication.

Second, on my 94 f250. It is a centurion conversion and was converted to dual rear wheels. It has single rear wheel axles with aluminum spacers. If possible i would like to try to get away from the spacers. If i can find dually hubs at a junk yard, are the spindles the same so i can swap them for a piece of mind seeing as a haul some weight.

Thanks for the help!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, on my 1986 f350 dually. i changed the hub seal today and was reading the haynes manual and is said pack the bearing with grease. now i know its a full floating axle and the the gear oil lubes the bearing so is that statement completely wrong or is it just to give it initial lubrication.

you dont have to apply grease to them as long as you pour gear oil on them and work them a little to get them lubed up good.

Second, on my 94 f250. It is a centurion conversion and was converted to dual rear wheels. It has single rear wheel axles with aluminum spacers. If possible i would like to try to get away from the spacers. If i can find dually hubs at a junk yard, are the spindles the same so i can swap them for a piece of mind seeing as a haul some weight.

i wouldn't worry about the spacers, remember they had to warranty them and if they weren't up to ***** they wouldn't have used them. also the drw and srw axle parts are interchangeable, but the axle housing is where they are different, the drw axle housing is 4" wider then a srw. i have seen plenty of people use wheel spacers between the rims to bring the wheels apart, so they keep rocks from cutting the sidewalls, but i can see where your worried about them holding both wheels, but if you want to sell them, let me know

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The sterling axle came in 3 different widths.

SRW
DRW(pickup)
DRW(cab-n-chassis)

So if you wanted to get away from the aluminum spacers you would need a DRW rear axle from a DUally pick up

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I always pack the wheel bearings! A ford service manager and one of the best mechanics I know told me to, so I do. I use synthetic bearing grease and gear lube...never had a problem!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I pack the bearings with vaseline (dissolves in gear oil) or jack up each side of the truck after adding gear oil - lets it flow out to the bearings.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pack the bearings with vaseline (dissolves in gear oil) or jack up each side of the truck after adding gear oil - lets it flow out to the bearings.

you do know that when a truck is sitting level, and you remove the axle shafts, gear oil will come out, if not then the oil level is low. jacking it up like that is a good idea, but as long as the oil level is full then its unnecessary.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On a side note that's also a fast/east way to drain a ford 8in if you are in a hurry...jerk an axle shaft and jack up the other side of the axle. It drains out the majority of the fluid and you can add new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online