A/C Q's. Some stuff I've been told, not sure......

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I pulled my truck out of a field where it sat for 4 years.

Blown High pressure line. Has been blown since before it was parked.

Guy at work said the compressor was fine, and not to worry about it. He said to replace the blown line, put in a new dryer, and orifice tube, and pump it down, and charge it.

System has been "open" for 4 years. Do I need to do anything to clean it out?
What causes a high pressure hose to blow out?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I pulled my truck out of a field where it sat for 4 years.

Blown High pressure line. Has been blown since before it was parked.

Guy at work said the compressor was fine, and not to worry about it. He said to replace the blown line, put in a new dryer, and orifice tube, and pump it down, and charge it.

System has been "open" for 4 years. Do I need to do anything to clean it out?
What causes a high pressure hose to blow out?

If the high pressure line failed, chances are the over pressure valve failed to cut loose with an over pressure situation in traffic. This happens when extended idling in a traffic jam when it is well over 100 outside and you have a failing fan clutch so there is insufficient air flow across the condenser ( in your climate you really should have an add on electric pusher fan in front of the condenser triggered to come on with the compressor as well)

For that one, it sounds like buying a new hose assembly would be a good idea. If you do put a pusher fan on it, you could probably get away with just repairing the hose section as it will keep the head pressure low enough. You could take the hose assembly to an ac shop and they can replace the rubber on that section. ( if you can't find one nearby you can send the thing to me and I'll make you a new hose section for the price of the rubber ,but you can probably get it done cheaper locally than what it would cost to ship the thing both ways )

If the hose was just split open to where the split looks closed up and the truck sat, probably OK to just vac it out, but if the hose was really seperated open to the atmosphere for that time it would be wise to flush the system. and remembre to add new oil

DragRag

Reaction score
Good advice there. I'd like to see the hose completly replaced. I agree new oil would be a big plus, and a drier to for that matter. You should be good to go.

DragRag

Reaction score
Depends on gas you are using, out door temp, and temp in the truck. All really are a factor. I usually charge to a 37# low side pressure if not weighing in the charge. Weighing in is the most accurate way to charge your system. Head could be any where from 175# to 275# depending on how dirty your condensor is, temp outside, gas type, and percentage of charge. Sorry, there is just no firm answer on the question. You can also get a pressure temperature chart involved to tell what the pressure could/should be. Mainly that gives you evap temps though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online