A/C options

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am getting ready to get the A/C fixed on this truck.
It is still R-12.
What options do I have nowdays?
I would prefer not to convert to 134 if it means changing parts.
Thanks
Doug

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can convert by just getting the R134a fittings and a new orifice tube ( or a variable orifice valve if in a hot climate ) vacuum it down and refill with the 134 and correct oil. Not a bad idea to replace all the orings while you're at it, make sure to coat them withj the r12 type mineral oil before installing, coating with the r134a refrigerant oils will dry them out. The factory ford ac is pretty good to begin with, they work nicely on 134. My CC is setup that way and blows nice and cold ( and I didn't even put the fancy orifice tube in it ) I'm getting low 30s out the ducts going down the road, can't ask for much more than that.

If you just have to have R12, you Can still take it to a shop that works with the stuff, or you can take the test and cet certified yourself to purchase r12 online, it doesn't cost much and the test isn't difficult ( open book, or rather open text file ;Sweet
I haven't checked personally, but I've been hearing that r12 is coming down and I know 134a had been steadily climbing in price( darn near double this year what it was last year I just paid $50 for a case that cost me under $30 last year)

--------Robert

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Doug,
They have a R-134a conversion kit that contains the 2 adapters for the R-12 fittings and takes a whole 5 minutes to change out. Just keep in mind than R-134a runs at a higher pressure that R-12 so on an empty R-12 system charge up to 80% with R134a and all will be good.;Sweet

IIRC 4 of the small cans (12oz) put the system up to the right amount.
I think the kit ran me $43.00 for oil, refigerant, adapters and the fill hose.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Googlize for HC12A. It totally RAWKS!!!:rock:
It's compatible with all the old R-12 stuff, and cools way better than 134.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Local place wants about $200 to do the leak checking, and fill with R-12. Good deal?

Doug

$200 sounds pretty civilized when you consider that r 12 is retailing ( legally ) for about $27.50 per 12 oz can and your truck will take 3-4 cans . That + labour time, the price is not out of line at all. Granted It takes me all of about 2 minutes to leak check a system with a sniffer, but chargine a system does keep a bay tied up for quite a while while it's sucking it down, and if it's empty and has to be vacuumed out, there's another 45 minutes plus the power to run the vacuum pump. $200 starts sounding prety good.

I really need to start charging more :angel: my customers are getting off too cheap. I just aplogized to a guy a couple of weeks ago for having to charge him$270 to put a new hose assembly on a buick and charge it up.

----------Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin