A/C HOSE QUESTION

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 1985 F-350, factory A/C, located on the left-side of the radiator is a hose that connects between a line from the condensor, and a line from the right-side outlet of the compressor.

This hose is maybe twenty-inches long, with no bent-metal fittings crimped onto it.

In parts-catalog language, what is this hose called ??

A picture and part-number would be nice.

Also, in many of the catalog descriptions, it says "for pre-charged system with manual valve at compressor".

If there is any kind of valve on my compressor, I am not seeing it; what are they meaning by this ??

Thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the discharge hose. It should have the high side a/c ftting made onto it.

Greg

Actually, that hose has a plain old connection at each end, and the high-side fitting you speak of is made onto the section of metal tubing that is between this hose and the compressor, as in this hose connects to that tube.

This hose has started spewing out from under one of the crimps; would it be possible that I could re-crimp it ON THE TRUCK, to keep me cool until a less hot/hectic time when I can replace the hose ??

It has been spewing, as in you can see/hear it, for some time, now, and it still cools reasonably well; at the rate it is losing juice, I would have figured it would soon be all leaked out.

Thanks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you try to re crimp it, chances are, that brittle rubber underneath is just going to fold completely. If you have a crimp tool, you can buy new rubber and end collars and replace the rubber pretty cheap.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure I will just use my ends and crimp on new hose, as that is usually the best way to be assured of a GOOD leak-free hose.

Be that as it may, I still am awfully curious why almost every single listing for this hose, FIRST - does not really look like mine, SECOND - says "with manual shut-off valve at compressor", and THIRD - "pre-charged".

The old time experienced parts men have no answers to these questions.

Thanks.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "pre-charged" does not refer to the line itself being charged. It refers to the TRUCK being charged with freon at the assembly plant.

I believe the other option is if you had a truck with dealer - installed A/C.

If the lines available are not like your line, you may well have a Ford dealer installed system, or an aftermarket system.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the lines available are not like your line, you may well have a Ford dealer installed system, or an aftermarket system.

Anything is possible, I guess; but, my cab is definitely an AIR cab.

The way in which these replacement hoses differ from mine is that the replacements have the pre-bent metal tube, with high-side fitting, all made with the hose in one single unit.

My hose is actually superior in that the section of bent/shaped tubing, with the high-side fitting, that fastens to the compressor itself, is a seperate piece from the hose, with the hose being very simple, with a male-threaded fitting at each end, that connects to threaded collars at the condensor and the metal tube at the compressor.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, as it turns out, the hose-end fittings on each end of my leaking hose are made onto the crimps in such a way that my hose-maker-guy could not re-use my ends.

Soooooo....., he ordered two new ends, crimped them onto a new length of hose, and now it's better than new.;Sweet

I have also found out that Advance does not offer this complete hose; but, when you pull it up with make/model of the truck, they list the two end fittings and a 19" length of hose, requiring the buyer to have the ends crimped onto the hose.