99 dually tire pressures?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
The door jamb sticker on my 99 is un-readable, where the tire pressures are listed. Would any of you guys be able to check your stickers and tell me what the factory wants the duals inflated to? I have the factory 16" steel wheels, with LRE tires. I just want to be sure I have it right, for when I'm towing the fiver.. Thanks!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I looked up my tire size in the load and inflation table..

Running LT235/85R16 as duals, 50PSI gives me 2006lbs weight carrying capacity per tire.

65PSI in the duals, gives an extra 375lbs. per tire at 2381lbs.

80PSI in the duals, gives an extra 772lbs. per tire at 2778lbs.

Since the heaviest load my dually carries is my fiver, 50PSI works. I carry around 3500lbs. in the bed while towing.. That's including the auxiliary fuel tank, the water tank for my water injection, the actual pin weight of the fiver and the miscellaneous other crap in the bed. The truck has a rear gross axle weight rating of 6800lbs. and the tires themselves are capable of carrying 8024lbs. at 50PSI. I think I'm good

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Based upon experience higher tire pressure will result in longer tire life because the sidewalls flex less and the tire does not build up as much heat in the casing. Which is why in a previous post it was mentioned to run at max cold inflation. Ride quality may not be quite as smooth but not much difference with the weight in the bed.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fully loaded I would assume you would want the max pressure. For 235/85r16 its 80psi.

Certainly you would want to run at that pressure 80 psi. The rolling resistance is reduced to the maximum, side wall flex is minimum, heat build up is minimum and blowouts are less likely to happen. On duallies, you want the pressure to be as close as possible to each other, + or - a pound cold .

I didn't see what rating the tires are, D or E.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I ran 80 psi cold on my last set and it wore the center out before the edges. so now i run at 70. Unless you are fully loaded I think 80 is too much

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
80 is too much unless loaded HEAVY all the time, otherwise you wear the middle tread out and wind up trashing tires prematurely. The factory load rating on the tires are quite suficient, especially if you run high end tires which will inveriably have a higher load rating than the min. I learned a long time ago that 80 will just earn you a kidney belt, especially on the front of a crew cab where its' near impossible to get weight up front.

Only time I will set them up high lik that is if heading out on a long trip where the temps are going to be much cooler where I'm going and I don't want to have to go through the fuss of refillig all my tires on the way { even with onboard air, it's still a pain {