97 will not start - even plugged in

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the first time ever my 97 has let me down.

Problem:

Thursday morning, plugged in - it starts as normal after not running for a week or so - a very cold week in SE Michigan, I go back inside to finish breakfast, come back out in a few minutes - and the truck is not running... and WILL NOT restart, both the fuel filter and water in fuel lights were on.

Trouble shooting so far:

plugged in block heater, put a 75w trouble light near the fuel filter housing, attached battery charger.
Removed fuel filter lid - filter itself and contents of bowl looked pretty good - not gelled up or frozen as I suspected it would be (current ambient temp 10F)

I drained the contents of the fuel bowl, cleaned the gunk off the bottom (I removed the fuel heater years ago) filled the bowl with diesel 911 about halfway, then filled the rest with fresh diesel. Put the old filter back in.

Symptoms:

Cranks at a good speed - sounds normal.
Tach moves as normal - cps OK.
HPOP is full after many cranking attempts.
Smoke out of tail pipe - white puffs, then some blackish if I floor it while cranking.
Sounds like it's "trying" to start, but just won't light off.

Temperature and fuel filter red lights are on while cranking...

Should I replace the fuel filter even though it's only a couple thousand miles old and appears fine visually?

Please help - this thing has never let me down before - and I'm stumped.
I followed the diesel 911 directions by putting some in the filter housing, and the rest in the tank, then I put a few gallons of fresh diesel in that tank as well - for now I'm just trying to start off the front tank.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Replace the filter just to rule it out. Is your engine oil level ok?...HUEI engines don't like low oil levels. Any DTC codes? Have you tried unhooking the GP's and sniffing it with ether?

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has been that cold I would consider getting some heat under the truck, sounds like the fuel lines are gelled, remember they are only 3/8" cold will get to them first.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If it has been that cold I would consider getting some heat under the truck, sounds like the fuel lines are gelled, remember they are only 3/8" cold will get to them first.

I agree for a start....(no pun intended:D) so was the filter full? how much fuel in tank? how about the fuses?

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was fuel in the filter housing when I opened it up.

I will replace the fuel filter tomorrow - just to rule it out even though the one in there now doesn't look bad - I suppose it could be iced up on the inside or something.

The fuel heater was removed years ago - so I don't think I have the #22 fuse problem, but I will check the fuse box underhood tomorrow after church when I change the filter.

The strangest thing is - even if the lines were frozen under the truck - why wouldn't it start and run for a while on the fresh fuel I poured into the filter housing.

HPOP is full - I checked that today. Oil level in the crank case should be fine- no spots under it -but I'll check it tomorrow too.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas - I'll get back to you tomorrow - hopefully with a solution.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the little bit of fuel you have in the filter may not be getting pressurized or pushed in the fuel gallery's.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could some one tell me if the fuel filter light is on (near the wait to start light on the dash) while cranking your truck?

I'm wondering if this is normal curing cranking... or if that sensor is telling me my filter is plugged.

If there is smoke coming from the tail pipe while cranking - doesn't that indicate that there is at least some fuel making it to the cylinders (the fuel pump is ok?)

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen mine on while cranking my 97, should still get truck started with plugged filter, yes if getting smoke it means your getting fuel but it may be dribbling into the cylinders instead of a good spray if its not getting enough. Have you tried as big rig tech said and disable your GP relay and try a little starting fluid.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well,
Today was a few degrees warmer, but it still wouldn't start.

I changed the fuel filter, the canister was full of fuel when I took the old one out - still wouldn't start.

Checked the oil - it was a couple quarts low - so I topped it off, still wouldn't start.

All the while I've got the block heater plugged in and a battery charger on.

Finally mostly out of desperation - I pulled the air cleaner (baldwin pa 2818 tymar style)
I cycled the glow plugs until the light went out, the voltage gauge moved up, and I heard the relay click...

Then I sprayed some ether into the intake tube...

and she fired up.

I've never used ether before on a diesel with all the horror stories - but in this case - it worked.

Now the next problem -- the battery light is on.
The voltage gauge is in the normal range, and with an old analog volt meter I measure about 14 volts at idle on both batteries (tough to tell exactly on a 50v scale).

I wiggled the plug on top the alternator where I've had issues in the past - no effect.

Any ideas?

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cycled the glow plugs until the light went out, the voltage gauge moved up, and I heard the relay click...

Then I sprayed some ether into the intake tube...

and she fired up.

I've never used ether before on a diesel with all the horror stories - but in this case - it worked.

Are you saying you sprayed starting fluid after the glow plugs cycled and still hot. If so I would be willing to bet you don't have any glow plugs left. Was the charger still hooked up and on by chance when you checked voltage?

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no - I waited until the glow plug relay had cycled off, then a while after that before I sprayed any ether in there.

No - the battery charger was not still hooked up when I checked voltage - I drove it a couple miles to top off with fresh diesel - and the batt light stayed on the whole time, while the voltage gauge stayed around the high side of middle....
I started another thread on the batt light issue.
Thanks for your help.