97 7.3 rough idle when warm

paulr4

Reaction score
My 97 7.3l powerstroke van has started to idle rough but only when warm. At cold start is sounds/feels normal. At any RPM other than idle it also sounds and feels normal. When idling warm it is very rough, periodic vibration that feels like it is stalling. It has not actually stalled, there is no smoke at warm idle. Some smoke at acceleration from idle but none accelerating at higher rpms.

From other posts the cam position sensor might be worth replacing. It also smokes alot on cold start until warmed to normal. More smoke than there used to be on start up before the rough idle. It has 305k on it already so some smoke should be ok. Any ideas?
Thank you

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how's the wiring harness under the valve covers?
My company '97 F450 has the same problem too but it's intermittent.
I'm not turning it in for service until the damn thing drops tho.
It's backup is a '04 F550 6.0......this truck has left me walking more than any other truck I've driven.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those symptoms sound alot like IPR valve orings.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
isnt ford recalling all 7.3 powerstrokes for the cam sensor?
CPS works or its doesent, there isnt an in between fail stage where it makes the engine run poorly.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
CPS works or its doesent, there isnt an in between fail stage where it makes the engine run poorly.

I have to disagree with that, had my old 96, check engine light came on, started pouring white smoke out, then wouldnt rev above 1000 rpm, hobbled it to the shop, then shut it off, and retsrted and was fine, CPS was the problem.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The CPS is a Hall Effect Sensor and there is a basic description in that link how they work. Basically its a magnet and a pickup, when the magnet passes the pickup it sends a signal. On/off/on/off/on/off........ better known as a digital. When the on/off cycle is interrupted the IDM shuts down the injectors.

Now, as with most electronics, weird things can and do happen and I think the killer of the Ford CPS probably lies in its operating environment of excessive heat and vibration. That may cause some of the on/off cycles to become skewed, or so the PCM/IDM believe so.

Over at SDD there is a pretty good thread concerning the CPS. See it HERE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online