97' 12 valve fuel/water separator canister

5-O Cummins

Reaction score
Was changing my fuel filter today and ran into an issue. Got the canister out, cleaned, new filter in, and tightened her back up. Primed the fuel system and started the truck, leak!

Long story short, seems the actual canister had some brittle spots and where the lever for the drain is, it snapped off. When that happened it took a chunk of the rim of the canister out, thus no seal and causing a leak. I'm figuring I need a whole new canister and just hope I can get it.

I called a Cummins dealer and they said all the parts around the top and canister were available for sale but those two were not. We were thinking it must be a dodge part only then. The part number he had for the canister was 3931584, the part number on the side of the canister is mopar 4882423. I think the mopar part may be the filter but not sure. I hope I'm not screwed here and the part is available.

If anyone has any insight to this it would be greatly appreciated. I just got this truck and its already out of commission, I just hope not for long. Thanks!

5-O Cummins

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
the part number should be the part number for the canister not the filter. If you can't find a replacement might look into doing a Prime Loc set up. Wanna talk about easy filter changes compared to the canister set up. Worth every penny.

5-O Cummins

Reaction score
Thanks!

Looks like an easy solution to a PITA problem.

I looked on another site and they only carried the prime loc for up to 96'. I will call them directly and hopefully get set up.

After reading their site, my pictured broken canister will totally be removed correct? So I don't have to worry about getting any other parts besides the prime loc kit?

5-O Cummins

Reaction score
Prime loc stated they no longer make the kits.

I ended up finding the part at dodge. Should be here within a day or so.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Good to hear you got her taken care of but sad to hear that they don't make the units any longer for the older trucks because they were sweet. Damn that means that when I get another one in the future I'll have to adapt something to make a system like they have. Because I won't have another one of the factory units - too much of a PITA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314