96 cummins slightly less power on veg.

codee

Reaction score
Hey,

My 12 valve has slightly less power on veg, always has. Have about 12k veg on it over the last 2.5 years including a trip to AK. Had to replace stock LP that's the only issue. when on diesel it's torquier and the boost picks up the power at about 1500rpm. On veg lots less torquey until 1750rpm and then acceleration is about the same.

I've built the same system as Sunwizard on his 12valve. Just wondering if this is just how it is or....? My 85 1.6 vw, 120k vo miles, has no difference in power but, no turbo either.

Probably won't be online for a while so my thanks in advance for your input.

codee

Reaction score
I should add that my fuel pressure is always in the 15-25ish range.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep I had the same thing when I ran veggie in my cummins. Also I noted a slight decrease in fuel mileage but for the cost it didn't matter. I think I lost something like 2-3 mpg on average if memory serves. it's been a while...

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well from a BTU stand point there is less BTU than diesel but the fuel is denser so I know I have heard of a 8-10% decrease with biodiesel and vegetable oil is close to the same. I am not sure if you are preheating or using injectors that have been set to the higher end of the pop pressure tolerance I heard that helps with the atomizing of the fuel in direct injected motors.

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the veggy stuff has less btu's than diesel so it will have less power and less mpg compared to straight d2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.