95 6.5 wont run after fuel filter change

chevy6.5

Reaction score
I put a new fuel filter in today, after i put it in i filled it up and bled it out. It ran for about 1 min then died. I got air in the system somehow and now i cant get it out. I was looking at were the fuel filter sits, and it looks like there is a gap between the filter's gasket and the base were it would sit. The gap is about 1/16 to 1/8 in wide. I think that is were the air got in. Is there another gasket that i lost that goes in there, and if not does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it running again? Any help would be appreciated.

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter has one notch in it that is bigger than the others - you probably don't have the filter seated in all the way...turn the filter until it drops down into place....

chevy6.5

Reaction score
Got it running the next day, we worked on it for 2 hours. I still dont know what the problem was but i gave it a squirt of starting fluid(i know its a big no no) and it fired right up and hasn't stuttered since. Thanks for the help.

chevy6.5

Reaction score
It died today. I started it up, backed out of a parking spot and it died. I gave it a lil squirt of ether(i know bad idea) and it ether locked the motor which in turn ripped the starter off the motor. What is this lift pump you suggester before, and how do you check to see if it is working properly?

nitrohogg

nitro ******
Reaction score
lift pump is in the frame under the drivers seat, looks like a small fuel filter with two wires going to it, power and ground. if ya open the pit **** on the fuel filter bleed and turn the key on it should be pumping fuel out at a steady rate, this is also how you bleed the air out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online